Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simplify an expression

Tags:
  1. Dec 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to prove that the expression

$$\frac{\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L}}{\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L} + \omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C}}$$

is equal to

$$\frac{1}{3-( (\frac{\omega_r}{\omega})^2 + (\frac{\omega}{\omega_r})^2)}$$

where ##\omega_r= \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}##

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

What I started to do was to get rid of the denominators in the fraction and put everything together

$$\frac{\omega^2C^2L-C}{\omega^2C^2L-C+\omega^2CL^2-L}$$

Then I divided the denominator by the numerator

$$\frac{1}{1+\frac{\omega^2CL^2-L}{\omega^2C^2L-C}}$$

And I'm kind of stuck now. Can someone give an hint on how should I proceed next?
    Or is there any easier way to start the proof? I'm just looking for a hint, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could start by checking for a typo in the expressions you gave. If you put ##L=C=1## you can easily see that they aren't equal.

4. Dec 9, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

First of all, get rid of L and C in favour of ##\omega_r## as soon as possible. It will save you a lot of writing and make your goal clearer. Second, your desired expression has a 3 in the denominator and you have a 1. How can you compensate for this?

I also suggest working with the reciprocal of your expression. It will save you having to write the expression as a quotient.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted