Proving the Equality of Two Complex Expressions Using Algebraic Manipulation

In summary, simplifying an expression involves using the correct order of operations and combining like terms to reduce the expression to its most basic form. This process is important because it allows us to solve equations and understand the structure of a problem. To simplify an expression, follow the order of operations and combine like terms, such as terms with the same variables and exponents. However, not all expressions can be simplified and some may already be in their simplest form.
Granger

Homework Statement

I have to prove that the expression

$$\frac{\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L}}{\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L} + \omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C}}$$

is equal to

$$\frac{1}{3-( (\frac{\omega_r}{\omega})^2 + (\frac{\omega}{\omega_r})^2)}$$

where ##\omega_r= \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

What I started to do was to get rid of the denominators in the fraction and put everything together

$$\frac{\omega^2C^2L-C}{\omega^2C^2L-C+\omega^2CL^2-L}$$

Then I divided the denominator by the numerator

$$\frac{1}{1+\frac{\omega^2CL^2-L}{\omega^2C^2L-C}}$$

And I'm kind of stuck now. Can someone give an hint on how should I proceed next?
Or is there any easier way to start the proof? I'm just looking for a hint, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Granger said:

Homework Statement

I have to prove that the expression

$$\frac{\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L}}{\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L} + \omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C}}$$

is equal to

$$\frac{1}{3-( (\frac{\omega_r}{\omega})^2 + (\frac{\omega}{\omega_r})^2)}$$

where $\omega_r= \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}$

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

What I started to do was to get rid of the denominators in the fraction and put everything together

$\frac{\omega^2C^2L-C}{\omega^2C^2L-C+\omega^2CL^2-L}$

Then I divided the denominator by the numerator

$\frac{1}{1+\frac{\omega^2CL^2-L}{\omega^2C^2L-C}}$

And I'm kind of stuck now. Can someone give an hint on how should I proceed next?
Or is there any easier way to start the proof? I'm just looking for a hint, thanks.

You could start by checking for a typo in the expressions you gave. If you put ##L=C=1## you can easily see that they aren't equal.

First of all, get rid of L and C in favour of ##\omega_r## as soon as possible. It will save you a lot of writing and make your goal clearer. Second, your desired expression has a 3 in the denominator and you have a 1. How can you compensate for this?

I also suggest working with the reciprocal of your expression. It will save you having to write the expression as a quotient.

What is simplifying an expression?

Simplifying an expression involves combining like terms, using the correct order of operations, and reducing the expression to its most basic form.

Why is simplifying an expression important?

Simplifying an expression allows us to solve equations and understand the underlying structure of an equation or problem. It also helps to make complex expressions more manageable and easier to work with.

How do I simplify an expression?

To simplify an expression, follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) and combine like terms. Start by simplifying any parentheses, then exponents, followed by multiplication/division from left to right, and finally addition/subtraction from left to right. Simplify each step until you have a reduced expression.

What are like terms?

Like terms are terms that have the same variables raised to the same powers. For example, 2x and 5x are like terms, but 2x and 5x^2 are not like terms. Like terms can be combined by adding or subtracting their coefficients while keeping the variable and exponent the same.

Can I simplify all expressions?

No, not all expressions can be simplified. Some expressions may already be in their simplest form, while others may have variables that cannot be combined. It is important to follow the order of operations and combine like terms, but if an expression cannot be simplified, it is considered simplified.