Matrix Simplification with C^2 = 0 and BC = CB

In summary, we are given the equation A=B+C, where B and C are nxn matrices with C^2=0 and BC=CB. We want to show that for p>0, A^(p+1)=B^p[B+(p+1)C]. Through simplifying both sides and applying the binomial theorem, we can see that (B+C)^(p+1)=B^(p+1)+(p+1)B^pC, and we only need to consider the first two terms due to C^2=0. This is possible because BC=CB and we can rearrange the products.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

let A=B+C where B and C are nxn matrices such that C[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 0 and BC=CB show that for p>0, A[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] = B[tex]^{p}[/tex][B+(p+1)C]I started trying to simplify both sides,

(B+C)[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] = B[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] + B[tex]^{p}[/tex]C(p+1)

wanted to get rid of p so multiplied both sides by C

which gives

C(B+C)[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] =CB[tex]^{p+1}[/tex]

i'm not sure if I've done this right or if I am doing it the right way or where to go from here...

Physics news on Phys.org

Since B and C commute, it's pretty easy to apply the binomial theorem to (B+C)^(p+1). Try it.

im not sure about the binomial therom,
do you mean (B+C)[tex]^{(p+1)}[/tex] = B(B+C)[tex]^{p}[/tex] + C(B+C)[tex]^{p}[/tex] ?

still not sure...you mean (B+C)[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] = (p+1)!B[tex]^{p}[/tex]C[tex]^{p+1}[/tex]

That's NOT the binomial theorem. The binomial theorem is (a+b)^n=C(n,0)*a^n+C(n,1)*a^(n-1)*b+...+C(n,n-1)*b*c^(n-1)+C(n,n)*b^n, where the C(n,i) are the binomial coefficients. Look it up. Apply that with a=B, b=C and n=p+1. Why can you ignore every term after the first two? What are C(p+1,0) and C(p+1,1)? You could also prove this by induction. Would you rather do that?

wait maybe that's B[tex]^{p}[/tex]C[tex]^{p+1}[/tex]

sorry didnt see your reply,thanks a mill i'll look that up now, thanks again

think i got it (B+C)[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] = B[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] + (p+1)B[tex]^{p}[/tex]C

we're only concerned with first 2 terms because C[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 0?

gtfitzpatrick said:
think i got it (B+C)[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] = B[tex]^{p+1}[/tex] + (p+1)B[tex]^{p}[/tex]C

we're only concerned with first 2 terms because C[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 0?

That's right. And remember we can only do this since BC=CB and we can rearrange the products.

thanks a mill for the help

1. What does it mean to simplify both sides of a matrix?

When simplifying both sides of a matrix, we are essentially reducing the matrix to its simplest form by performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on both sides of the equation.

2. Why is it important to simplify both sides of a matrix?

Simplifying both sides of a matrix allows us to solve for specific variables and find the solution to the equation. It also helps to make the matrix easier to work with and understand.

3. What are the common operations used to simplify both sides of a matrix?

The most common operations used to simplify both sides of a matrix include combining like terms, distributing, and using inverse operations such as taking the inverse of a matrix or finding the determinant.

4. Can simplifying both sides of a matrix change the solution to the equation?

Yes, simplifying both sides of a matrix can change the solution to the equation. This is because by performing operations on both sides, we are essentially changing the original equation and may end up with a different solution.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines to follow when simplifying both sides of a matrix?

Yes, there are some rules and guidelines to follow when simplifying both sides of a matrix. These include keeping track of the operations performed on both sides, being careful with negative signs, and always checking your work to ensure the solution is correct.