Simplify Function Homework: Stuck on Further Simplification

In summary, function simplification is the process of reducing a mathematical expression or equation to its simplest form by combining like terms, factoring, and using mathematical properties such as the distributive property. It is important because it allows us to solve more complex equations and better understand the relationships between different mathematical expressions. Some strategies for simplifying functions include combining like terms, factoring, using the distributive property, and canceling out common factors. To ensure correct simplification, you can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation or comparing it to the given answer. If you are stuck, taking a break, trying different strategies, or asking for help can be useful.
mkeg1

Homework Statement

Started at (x * x/sqrt(1+x^2))/sqrt(1+x^2)-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

now I am at

(x^2 (1 + x)^(1/2) - x^2)/(1 + x)^(1/2)

I am stuck on how to simplify further

Physics news on Phys.org
mkeg1 said:

Homework Statement

Started at (x * x/sqrt(1+x^2))/sqrt(1+x^2)-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

now I am at

(x^2 (1 + x)^(1/2) - x^2)/(1 + x)^(1/2)

I am stuck on how to simplify further

Your simplification looks wrong, unless I'm reading the problem incorrectly.

(x * x / sqrt(1+x^2)) / sqrt(1+x^2)-1
x^2 * (1+x^2)^-1/2 * (1+x^2)^1/2
Can you go on from there?

1. What is function simplification?

Function simplification is the process of reducing a mathematical expression or equation to its simplest form. This involves combining like terms, factoring, and using mathematical properties such as the distributive property.

2. Why is function simplification important?

Function simplification is important because it allows us to solve more complex equations and better understand the relationships between different mathematical expressions. It also helps us to identify patterns and make predictions.

3. What are some strategies for simplifying functions?

Some strategies for simplifying functions include combining like terms, factoring, using the distributive property, and canceling out common factors. It is also helpful to look for patterns and use algebraic rules to simplify the expression.

4. How do I know if I have simplified a function correctly?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it results in the same value. You can also compare your simplified function to the given answer or use a graphing calculator to visualize the function.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on further simplification?

If you are stuck on further simplification, it can be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try using different strategies or asking for help from a teacher or classmate. Remember to check your work and make sure you understand the concepts before moving on.