1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify laplace-ian problem

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    Dear Friends,

I have this problem:

[tex] \frac{i\hbar\Psi}{2m}\frac{\partial\nabla\Psi}{\partial t}+(\frac{i\hbar(\nabla\Psi)}{2m}\nabla)\frac{i\hbar(\nabla\Psi)}{2m}[/tex]

... and i'd like to simplify it... is is possible?

best reggards

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only way i can see it,u may write the laplace-ian in the second term.I assume [itex] \Psi [/itex] to be scalar,hence nabla apllied on it would be the gradient and another nabla would mean laplace-ian...It could mean hessian,but i doubt it is the case here...

Daniel.

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3
    Like this?

want you mean this?

[tex] \frac{i\hbar\Psi}{2m}\frac{\partial\nabla\Psi}{\partial t}+(\frac{i\hbar(\nabla^2\Psi)}{2m})\frac{i\hbar(\nabla\Psi)}{2m}[/tex]

5. Jan 25, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,i mean this:
    [tex] \frac{i\hbar}{2m}\Psi \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\nabla \Psi+\frac{i\hbar}{2m}(\nabla\Psi)\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\Delta \Psi [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.Nabla is an (differential) linear operator which applies to the right ALWAYS...

6. Jan 25, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry,it's the same thing as you have written,it's just that i thought u applied that nabla to the left (else you would have written like i did,without changing the order of terms),instead of to the right...

My applogies,if i assumed a wrong thing...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?