Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify math course work

1. Feb 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simplify [​IMG] Please kindly show the working steps as well. ^^ Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried but i have no idea on how to start...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2011 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Re: Simplify

I can't see what you posted. Can you write it here?

4. Feb 12, 2011 #3

Sorry, here it goes: [​IMG]

5. Feb 13, 2011 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ok, by simplification I assume they mean rationalizing the denominator (getting rid of square roots in the denominator). Do you know about multiplying by the conjugate?

6. Feb 13, 2011 #5

I guess i don't know how to multiply by conjugate since i don't even know what is a conjugate. ><

7. Feb 13, 2011 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If you have something like [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}[/tex] then you can get rid of any roots in the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) by multiplying by the conjugate [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex]
    Basically, the conjugate of a+b is a-b. When you multiply [tex]1+\sqrt{x}[/tex] by [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex] you get [tex]1-x[/tex]. When you multiply a-b by a+b you get [tex]a^2-b^2[/tex] so you can see that if a and b are square roots, the square roots will vanish in the denominator. So multiplying by the top and the bottom will give you [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x})}{(1+\sqrt{x})(1-\sqrt{x})}=\frac{1-\sqrt{x}}{1-x}[/tex]
    That is what you call rationalizing the denominator.

Now, for your question, the conjugate of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}+\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex] will be...?

8. Feb 13, 2011 #7

Oo.. i don't know that is called conjugate. >< By rationalizing the denominator with its conjugate, now i managed to solve the question! Thanks! ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?