Simplify math course work

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simplify [​IMG] Please kindly show the working steps as well. ^^ Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried but i have no idea on how to start...

2. jcsd
  3. Mentallic

Mentallic 3,761
    Homework Helper

Re: Simplify

I can't see what you posted. Can you write it here?

4. Re: Simplify

Sorry, here it goes: [​IMG]

5. Mentallic

Mentallic 3,761
    Homework Helper

Ok, by simplification I assume they mean rationalizing the denominator (getting rid of square roots in the denominator). Do you know about multiplying by the conjugate?

6. Re: Simplify

I guess i don't know how to multiply by conjugate since i don't even know what is a conjugate. ><

7. Mentallic

Mentallic 3,761
    Homework Helper

If you have something like [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}[/tex] then you can get rid of any roots in the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) by multiplying by the conjugate [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex]
    Basically, the conjugate of a+b is a-b. When you multiply [tex]1+\sqrt{x}[/tex] by [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex] you get [tex]1-x[/tex]. When you multiply a-b by a+b you get [tex]a^2-b^2[/tex] so you can see that if a and b are square roots, the square roots will vanish in the denominator. So multiplying by the top and the bottom will give you [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x})}{(1+\sqrt{x})(1-\sqrt{x})}=\frac{1-\sqrt{x}}{1-x}[/tex]
    That is what you call rationalizing the denominator.

Now, for your question, the conjugate of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}+\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex] will be...?

8. Re: Simplify

Oo.. i don't know that is called conjugate. >< By rationalizing the denominator with its conjugate, now i managed to solve the question! Thanks! ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?