1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify set math problem

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    I have no formal training in set theory, and I need to simplify the following:

[tex](A\cup B - A\cap B)\cup C - (A\cup B - A\cap B)\cap C[/tex]

Preferably, it should somehow end up as:

[tex]A\cup (B\cup C - B\cap C) - A\cap (B\cup C - B\cap C)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

The union of A and B is the set of points in A or B or both, so subtracting off the part in both A and B leaves the part in either A or B. Call this set D. Then you do the same thing with D and C. So you want the points that are either in C or D (not both), which means they are either in A, or B, or C, but not more than one of these. Does that help at all?

4. Jan 11, 2006 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how the second thing is a simplification of the first, but the two are the same. You could use:

(A + B + C) - (AB + BC + AC)

where + is union, and juxtaposition is intersection.

5. Jan 11, 2006 #4

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is basically the XOR relation. That is,

(A xor B) xor C = A xor (B xor C) = A xor B xor C,

well familiar to those of us who design integrated circuits.

Carl

6. Jan 12, 2006 #5
    What are the basic properties of unions and intersections? For example, what is

[tex](A-B)\cap C[/tex]

I know how unions and intersections interact with one another, but what about the above case?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  7. Jan 12, 2006 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

We can pretend we are given a base space X containing all the sets, and then we can define a set X-B, the complement of B in X, and then this becomes:

[tex] (A-B) \cap C = (A \cap (X-B))\cap C = A \cap (X-B)\cap C[/tex]

Since intersection is associative, and so you can do what you want with this:

[tex](A-B) \cap C = (C-B) \cap A = (A\cap C) -B [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?