1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify the expression (i have a test tomorrow)

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1

PHK

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    sec+csc/1+tan

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried simplifying it and the farthest i got was: 1/cos + 2/sin + cos/sin^2
    im not sure thats even right

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2
    ok i'm a bit confused on what your problem is ... plz make it a lil more clear

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3

PHK

i have to simplify sec+csc/1+tan

5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    the problem is ...

[tex]\sec{x}+\frac{\csc{x}}{1}+\tan{x}[/tex]

why did you write the 1 ... ?

6. Oct 24, 2007 #5

PHK

its not that its, sec+csc and all that over 1+tan. sec+csc
    ...................................................................1+tan

ignore the the dots the problem i am and talking about is in the the top right

also (sec+csc)/(1+tan)

7. Oct 24, 2007 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should use parentheses to make your questions unambiguous in future. Also, note that sec doesn't mean anything; you mean sec(x). Ok, well you could write everything in terms of sines and cosines first. Just substitute into that expression, then try and tidy up.

8. Oct 24, 2007 #7
    (sec+csc)/(1+tan) ... much clearer

hopefully you see why i was confused, if you want help you gotta be clear! or we're gonna be going back and forth w/o you ever receiving help. lol

9. Oct 24, 2007 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

How are each of these trig functions defined? Replace each one by its definition and see what you get when you add the appropriate fractions.

10. Oct 24, 2007 #9

PHK

yea sorry for not being clear.

and i already tryed replacing them by the definition. i just end up with 1/cos + 2/sin + cos/sin^2

11. Oct 24, 2007 #10
    what did you multiply by?

i multiplied both NUM and DEN by cosx

i don't really see what else can be done.

12. Oct 24, 2007 #11

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I don't see how you got 2/sin, but I can tell you that this simplifies a lot.

Just make the replacements first, then add the fractions in the numerator and in the denominator separately. You'll have a compound fraction, where you can then invert the denominator and multiply. You'll see a couple of things that you can then cancel.

[ (1/cos) + ? ] / [ 1 + ? ] = ?

13. Oct 24, 2007 #12

PHK

maybe thats wrong then (1/cos + 2/sin + cos/sin^2), also i tried multiplying by cosx and i get 1/sin + cos - 1/cos i tried going further but it seems like im doing something wrong. does anyone have the solution yet?

14. Oct 24, 2007 #13
    [tex]\frac{\sec + \csc}{1+\tan}=\frac{\frac{1}{\cos} + \frac{1}{\sin}}{1+\frac{\sin}{\cos}}=\frac{\frac{\sin + \cos}{\cos \sin}}{\frac{\cos+\sin}{\cos}=\frac{1}{\sin}=\csc[/tex]

15. Oct 24, 2007 #14

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The next step should be

[ (1/cos) + (1/sin) ] / [ 1 + (sin/cos) ] . Add the fractions in the numerator and in the denominator, then simplify the compound fraction you get.

The answer is csc x .

16. Oct 24, 2007 #15

PHK

[ (1/cos) + (1/sin) ] / [ 1 + (sin/cos) ] thats the original problem. how did you get csc from that?

17. Oct 24, 2007 #16

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Having looked at your source code, I think I should say that you should resist the temptation to provide the full solution to a problem. This forum is intended to guide students, rather than simply hand them the answers...

18. Oct 24, 2007 #17

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What does you get when you add (1/cos) + (1/sin) ? How about 1 + (sin/cos) ?

19. Oct 24, 2007 #18

PHK

oh i get it thanks i was adding the top part properly but not hte bottm part. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?