Simplify the expression (i have a test tomorrow)

In summary, the expression sec+csc/1+tan can be simplified to csc x by first replacing each trigonometric function with its definition, then adding the fractions in the numerator and denominator separately and simplifying the compound fraction that results.
PHK

Homework Statement

sec+csc/1+tan

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried simplifying it and the farthest i got was: 1/cos + 2/sin + cos/sin^2
im not sure that's even right

Physics news on Phys.org
ok I'm a bit confused on what your problem is ... please make it a lil more clear

i have to simplify sec+csc/1+tan

the problem is ...

[tex]\sec{x}+\frac{\csc{x}}{1}+\tan{x}[/tex]

why did you write the 1 ... ?

its not that its, sec+csc and all that over 1+tan. sec+csc
.............1+tanignore the the dots the problem i am and talking about is in the the top right

also (sec+csc)/(1+tan)

You should use parentheses to make your questions unambiguous in future. Also, note that sec doesn't mean anything; you mean sec(x). Ok, well you could write everything in terms of sines and cosines first. Just substitute into that expression, then try and tidy up.

(sec+csc)/(1+tan) ... much clearer

hopefully you see why i was confused, if you want help you got to be clear! or we're going to be going back and forth w/o you ever receiving help. lol

PHK said:
its not that its, sec+csc and all that over 1+tan. sec+csc
.............1+tan

ignore the the dots the problem i am and talking about is in the the top right

also (sec+csc)/(1+tan)

How are each of these trig functions defined? Replace each one by its definition and see what you get when you add the appropriate fractions.

yea sorry for not being clear.

and i already tryed replacing them by the definition. i just end up with 1/cos + 2/sin + cos/sin^2

what did you multiply by?

i multiplied both NUM and DEN by cosx

i don't really see what else can be done.

PHK said:
yea sorry for not being clear.

and i already tryed replacing them by the definition. i just end up with 1/cos + 2/sin + cos/sin^2

I don't see how you got 2/sin, but I can tell you that this simplifies a lot.

Just make the replacements first, then add the fractions in the numerator and in the denominator separately. You'll have a compound fraction, where you can then invert the denominator and multiply. You'll see a couple of things that you can then cancel.

[ (1/cos) + ? ] / [ 1 + ? ] = ?

maybe that's wrong then (1/cos + 2/sin + cos/sin^2), also i tried multiplying by cosx and i get 1/sin + cos - 1/cos i tried going further but it seems like I am doing something wrong. does anyone have the solution yet?

[tex]\frac{\sec + \csc}{1+\tan}=\frac{\frac{1}{\cos} + \frac{1}{\sin}}{1+\frac{\sin}{\cos}}=\frac{\frac{\sin + \cos}{\cos \sin}}{\frac{\cos+\sin}{\cos}=\frac{1}{\sin}=\csc[/tex]

PHK said:
maybe that's wrong then (1/cos + 2/sin + cos/sin^2), also i tried multiplying by cosx and i get 1/sin + cos - 1/cos i tried going further but it seems like I am doing something wrong. does anyone have the solution yet?

The next step should be

[ (1/cos) + (1/sin) ] / [ 1 + (sin/cos) ] . Add the fractions in the numerator and in the denominator, then simplify the compound fraction you get.

The answer is csc x .

[ (1/cos) + (1/sin) ] / [ 1 + (sin/cos) ] that's the original problem. how did you get csc from that?

EugP said:
[tex]\frac{\sec + \csc}{1+\tan}=\frac{\frac{1}{\cos} + \frac{1}{\sin}}{1+\frac{\sin}{\cos}}=\frac{\frac{\sin + \cos}{\cos \sin}}{\frac{\cos+\sin}{\cos}=\frac{1}{\sin}=\csc[/tex]

Having looked at your source code, I think I should say that you should resist the temptation to provide the full solution to a problem. This forum is intended to guide students, rather than simply hand them the answers...

PHK said:
[ (1/cos) + (1/sin) ] / [ 1 + (sin/cos) ] that's the original problem. how did you get csc from that?

What does you get when you add (1/cos) + (1/sin) ? How about 1 + (sin/cos) ?

oh i get it thanks i was adding the top part properly but not hte bottm part. thanks

What does it mean to "simplify" an expression?

Simplifying an expression means to reduce it to its simplest form. This involves combining like terms, using the order of operations, and eliminating unnecessary parentheses or terms.

What are the steps to simplifying an expression?

The steps to simplifying an expression are: 1) Combine like terms, 2) Use the order of operations, 3) Eliminate unnecessary parentheses or terms. Repeat these steps until the expression is in its simplest form.

Can I use my calculator to simplify an expression?

Yes, you can use your calculator to help with simplifying an expression. However, it's important to understand the steps and reasoning behind the simplification process in order to fully understand the concept.

How do I know if my simplified expression is correct?

You can check the correctness of your simplified expression by substituting values for the variables and evaluating both the original and simplified expressions. If they give the same result, then your simplified expression is correct.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for simplifying expressions?

There are some common patterns and properties that can help with simplifying expressions, such as the distributive property, the commutative and associative properties, and the use of exponents. However, it's important to always follow the proper steps and procedures to ensure the correct simplification of an expression.