1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying a derivative

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the derivative of

3. The attempt at a solution

The book has a different solution since they always simplify, but how would I simplify it? I know it has something to do with the 6x2, but the 2nd 6x2 is attached to the cos.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Just use the double angle formula for sin. What is sin2x for example?
  4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    Never heard of it :confused:
  5. Oct 11, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a Trig Identity that you should have come across in high school:

6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    I'm still in high school...
  7. Oct 11, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, so factor it out:
    [tex]f'(x)= 6x^2(1- cos(x^3)sin(x^3))[/tex]
    You don't say WHAT the "different solution" in the book is so I don't know if you want that simplified more. You could use the identity Defennder gave you: Since sin(2x3)= 2sin(x3)cos(x3, cos(x3)sin(x3= (1/2)sin(2x3).

Whether you are in High School or not, taking a course before learning the pre-requisites for that course is just wasting your time. And trigonometry is definitely a pre-requisite for problems like this.
  8. Oct 11, 2008 #7
    I've taken PreCalc. I just don't recall learning that identity. Maybe I just forgot or it was called by a different name. The only identities that I really remember well is the basic Pythagorean identity.

Thanks for the help though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?