Simplify Radical sqrt(65/7)/[2sqrt(2)] | Step-by-Step Guide & Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the expression sqrt(65/7)/[2sqrt(2)]. The solution involves rationalizing the denominator and simplifying the expression to 1/2 * sqrt(65/14) or, in some cases, sqrt(910)/28.
js14
sqrt(65/7)/[2sqrt(2)] I know how to simplfy radicals but this one has me stuck. I tried to answer it and i got sqrt(65)/[2*sqrt(2)] is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
js14 said:
sqrt(65/7)/[2sqrt(2)] I know how to simplfy radicals but this one has me stuck. I tried to answer it and i got sqrt(65)/[2*sqrt(2)] is this right?
No.

You lost sqrt(7) somehow.

This is the same as
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{65}}{\sqrt{7}} \cdot \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Multiply by 1 in the form of sqrt(14)/sqrt(14) to rationalize the denominator.

Ok I get 1/2 * sqrt(65/14). is this right?

yes, that is correct.

you can also simplify this by doing the following

[tex]
\frac{\sqrt{65}}{\sqrt{7}} \cdot \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\sqrt{65}}{\sqrt{7} \sqrt{2}} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\sqrt{65}}{\sqrt{7 \cdot 2}} = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{65}{14}}
[/tex]

Often the textbook's answer will appear without radicals in the denominator. If that's the case in your textbook, multiply the answer that ojs gave by sqrt(14)/sqrt(14), which gives
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{910}}{28} [/tex]

Thanks!

1. What is a radical?

A radical is a mathematical symbol, represented by √, that indicates the square root of a number.

2. How do you simplify a radical expression?

To simplify a radical expression, you need to find the largest perfect square that is a factor of the number inside the radical. Then, you can take the square root of that perfect square and move it outside of the radical sign.

3. What is the first step in simplifying this expression?

The first step in simplifying this expression is to break down the numbers under the radical sign into their prime factors. This will help identify the perfect squares that can be taken out.

4. What is the next step after breaking down the numbers into prime factors?

After breaking down the numbers into prime factors, the next step is to group the factors in pairs, with one number inside the radical and one number outside the radical. This will help identify the perfect squares that can be taken out.

5. How do you know when a radical expression is simplified?

A radical expression is considered simplified when there are no more square roots or other radicals inside the radical sign, and all perfect squares have been taken out and simplified.