1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying Absolute Values

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Simplify.

a) [tex]\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]
    b) [tex]8 \sqrt{x^7y^{10}} - 10 \sqrt{x^7y^{10}}[/tex]

For b, it's y^10. I can't make it look right for some reason.
    Mod note: Fixed the exponent.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can simplify all of them but I don't know when or where I need to put in absolute value symbols to the solution. I know the solution because my book shows me, but I don't understand why the absolute values are where they are.

For instance, the solution to a is [tex]|x^3|[/tex] but I can only get to [tex]x^3[/tex] without becoming confused.
    For b, i can get to [tex]-2x^3y^5 \sqrt{x}[/tex] but the solution is [tex]-2x^3|y^5| \sqrt{x}[/tex]
    So how do you know when an absolute value is required?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use y^{10}
    [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{u^2}=|u|[/itex]

Also, remember that if n is a positive integer, then [itex]u^{2n}\ge0\,,[/itex] so there is no need to use absolute value.

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    So in my scenario, x has to be positive because it's still underneath the square root so I don't need to put an absolute value around x^3, whereas y can be either positive or negative because it's not still beneath the square root so an absolute value is required?

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. x can be any real number.

Like SammyS said,
    $$ \sqrt{x^2} = |x|$$

so
    $$ \sqrt{x^6} = \sqrt{(x^3)^2} = |x^3|$$

This is also the same as |x|3.

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which scenario ?

If x is to an even power, that result is non-negative. So that can be under a radical -- actually one signifying a square root -- no matter what value x has.

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6
    I was referring to question b. Do you mean if x has an even power in the initial equation or in the solution?

8. Oct 17, 2012 #7
    Oh wow, I think it makes sense now. Seeing the step between x^6 and |x^3| was really helpful. I wasn't writing that step down, I was simply skipping to the final step. Thanks a bunch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook