Can two blackbody emitters combine to act like one emitter?

In summary, the conversation is about blackbody radiation and the possibility of two blackbody emitters combining to act like one. The goal is to show that the sum of two functions can be written as one function, where the constant is a function of the original constants. After plotting the graphs, it is determined that the sum of the two functions is not exactly the same shape as the individual functions, but it is close to a straight line. This helps in finding a solution and saves time.
DrBloke
I'm having a discussion about blackbody radiation on one of the other forums. I'm trying to prove that two blackbody emitters combine to act like one blackbody emitter. Unfortunately the algebra is beyond me. What I need to show is the following:

I want to show that
[tex]\frac{1}{e^{ax}-1}+\frac{1}{e^{bx}-1}[/tex]

can be written as

[tex]\frac{1}{e^{cx}-1}[/tex]

where c is some function of a and b. I suspect it might be a weighted average of a and b.

Can it be done? Having plotted a graph of the sum of the two functions I suspect it can since the shape of the graph is the same shape as the individual functions before they are added together.

Edit: Thinking about it it's probably more likely to be of the form

[tex]\frac{k}{e^{cx}-1}[/tex]

where k is also a function of a and b. But I can't show that either. Putting things over a common denominator didn't help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The graphs may look "nearly" the same shape, but they are different.

If
y = 1 / ( e^ax - 1)
1/y = e^ax + 1
1/y - 1 = e^ax
ax = log(1/y + 1)

So the graph of log (1/y +1) against x is a strainght line.

Take say a = 1, b = 0.5, and x from 0.1 to 2.

Plot the corrsponding graph for the sum of the two functions, and it is close to a strainght line but not exactly straight.

Thanks AlephZero that helped a lot and saved me a lot of time I might have wasted trying to prove it was.

What is simplifying an equation?

Simplifying an equation is the process of reducing a mathematical expression to its simplest form. This involves combining like terms, eliminating unnecessary parentheses, and applying mathematical rules and properties.

Why is it important to simplify equations?

Simplifying equations makes them easier to work with and understand. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different parts of the equation. In addition, simplifying an equation can often lead to finding a solution or making calculations more efficient.

What are the steps to simplify an equation?

The steps to simplify an equation include: 1) Combining like terms, 2) Distributing and factoring, 3) Applying the order of operations, 4) Removing parentheses, and 5) Simplifying any remaining terms or expressions. It is important to follow the correct order of operations to simplify an equation correctly.

Can all equations be simplified?

No, not all equations can be simplified. Some equations may already be in their simplest form or may not have any like terms or factors that can be combined. It is important to first determine if an equation can be simplified before attempting to do so.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for simplifying equations?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used to simplify equations. These include using the distributive property, factoring, and using rules such as the product and quotient rules for exponents. It is important to practice and become familiar with these tricks to simplify equations more efficiently.