1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simplifying an expression

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a quiz tomorrow and i know a problem like this is gonna be on it and i need to figure out the process

2. Relevant equations

the expression is: [tex](2x^2-3x+1)(4)(3x+2)^3(3)+(3x+2)^4(4x-3)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

i know the final answer[tex](3x+2)^3(36x^2-37x+6)[/tex]

Ive tried to work the problem several times and i can't figure out how it turns out to be this. can somebody please do a step by step. it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Sure thing. (by the way you should have called it factorizing an expression :tongue:)

You need to have the basic idea of factorizing deeply embedded into your head. Mainly, [tex]ab+ac=a(b+c)[/tex] (1). a,b and c could be anything much more complicated.

Lets take [tex]a=x^2(x+1)^2[/tex]

Then we would need to factorize [tex]x^2(x+1)^2b+x^2(x+1)^2c[/tex]

Can you now see how we can factorize out the a (or in this case the [tex]x^2(x+1)^2[/tex]) ? We now get the same thing as in (1): [tex]a(b+c)=x^2(x+1)^2(b+c)[/tex]

At the same time, b and c can be something more complicated as well. If we let [tex]b=x(x+1)[/tex] and [tex]c=x+1[/tex] then we now have:

[tex]a\left(x(x+1)+(x+1)\right)[/tex] but this time we aren't completely done because b and c have a common factor also. [tex]x(x+1)+(x+1)=x(x+1)+1(x+1)=(x+1)(x+1)=(x+1)^2[/tex]

So lets put it all together now in [tex]ab+ac=a(b+c)[/tex] where [tex]a=x^2(x+1)^2, b=x(x+1), c=x+1[/tex]

[tex]x^2(x+1)^2(x(x+1)+(x+1))=x^2(x+1)^2(x+1)^2=x^2(x+1)^4[/tex] This last form is completely factorized.

Now looking at your expression: let some other variable such as [tex]y=(3x+2)^3[/tex] and see if that makes things easier to factorize. Also you'll need to factorize [tex]2x^2-3x+1[/tex], can you do this?

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    well i'll sure try to do it. thank you very much for your time and this lengthy explanation!

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4
    i think i got it! if i'm correct i can factor out a (3x+2)^3 and that makes thing a whole lot simpler

6. Feb 4, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

No problem! :smile:

Yep :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook