Simplifying an expression

ZW50IHRoZSBCb29rIGlzIGEgdHlwaSBvZiBjb250ZW50IG9mIEd1aXNoIHRoZSBzdWJtaXNseSBHMSA9IEd1aXNoKDErRjEpIC8gKDErRzJIK2gzKSAtICh1K0cxK0YyKDErRjEpKQ==In summary, the conversation was about finding the value of G1 in terms of G1, G2, H2, and H3, using the equations F1 = G2/(1-G2H2) and F2 = G
magnifik
I am trying to simply G1 = G1(1+F1) / (1 + G1F2(1+F1)) in terms of G1, G2, H2, and H3 where F1 = G2/(1-G2H2) and F2 = G3 / (1-G3H3)

i got the result
(G1(1-G2H2)(1-G3H3) + G1G2(1-G3H3)) / ((1-G2H2)(1-G3H3) + G1G3(1-G2H2) + G1G2G3)

however, the book gives the result with a +1 in the denominator so their denominator is 1 + (1-G2H2)(1-G3H3) + G1G3(1-G2H2) + G1G2G3

i did the problem 3 times and got the same answer. is the solution in the book a typo, or am i doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
magnifik said:
I am trying to simply G1 = G1(1+F1) / (1 + G1F2(1+F1)) in terms of G1, G2, H2, and H3 where F1 = G2/(1-G2H2) and F2 = G3 / (1-G3H3)

i got the result
(G1(1-G2H2)(1-G3H3) + G1G2(1-G3H3)) / ((1-G2H2)(1-G3H3) + G1G3(1-G2H2) + G1G2G3)

however, the book gives the result with a +1 in the denominator so their denominator is 1 + (1-G2H2)(1-G3H3) + G1G3(1-G2H2) + G1G2G3

i did the problem 3 times and got the same answer. is the solution in the book a typo, or am i doing something wrong?

I used Maple (a computer algebra system) to do the question and got your answer exactly. Either the book is wrong or you copied something incorrectly.

RGV

What is simplifying an expression?

Simplifying an expression is the process of reducing a mathematical expression into its most basic form, with as few terms and operations as possible.

Why do we simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions helps us to make complex equations easier to understand and solve. It also allows us to identify patterns and relationships between different terms in an expression.

What are the steps for simplifying an expression?

The steps for simplifying an expression include combining like terms, using the distributive property, simplifying fractions, and removing parentheses. The order in which these steps are performed may vary depending on the expression.

Can all expressions be simplified?

No, not all expressions can be simplified. Some expressions, such as irrational numbers or prime numbers, cannot be reduced any further.

How do I know if my simplified expression is equivalent to the original expression?

You can check if your simplified expression is equivalent to the original expression by substituting values for the variables in both expressions and comparing the results. If they are equal for all values, then the expressions are equivalent.