Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement

• Thread starter DorumonSg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, the conversation is about finding shortcuts for converting equations into K-Maps, which are used in digital logic to simplify and visualize Boolean expressions. The group discusses different methods, including manually filling out the K-Map and using binary conversions. Ultimately, it is determined that the quickest method for an exam would be to read the factors off the formula and fill in 0's accordingly in the K-Map, without needing to do any binary conversions. The conversation also touches on different techniques for labeling and filling in the K-Map.
DorumonSg

Homework Statement

Okay, I have question I was pondering about for a while...

If I had the equation below and wanted to transform it into a K-Map, is the only way I can do it to expand it completely? Are there any shortcuts?

Homework Equations

This is just a random equation out of my mind :

(A+B+C)(A+B'+C)(A+B+C')(A'+B+C)(A'+B')

So I been taught when handling K-Map if I get a SOP, I would make all of portions similar to include all 3 variables eg.(A+B+C) then convert them to binary, invert them and take their sum to map it into the K-Map as a short cut.

Example for (A + B + C) I would take 111, invert it 000, the decimal will be 0, and then I map this as a 0(Maxterm or was it minterm @_@) into the 0 portion of the K-Map.

But I was thinking is there anyway to convert the portions of my above equation to a (A+B+C) form easily or do I have to expand them to make it a POS then map it into a K-Map.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you only have three variables A, B, and C, there are only the 8 states:

ABC

If any of your factors is 0 in the product of sums, the result is 0. And in any individual factor in any term is 1 the sum is 1. It only takes a minute or so to just plug them into fill out the K-table.

You are telling me to pluck in the individual values 1 by 1 in the equation than sort it out in a K-Map which would cost a lot of time in an exam...

I am looking for shortcuts to save time like the one I posted above...

I am asking if besides sorting it out manually and expanding the above equation to a POS than map it. Is there anyway to map the above into K-map quick or change the portions to include all 3 A, B, C using any techniques?

Yeah, but i c ur point, it seems quickest in this case.

DorumonSg said:
You are telling me to pluck in the individual values 1 by 1 in the equation than sort it out in a K-Map which would cost a lot of time in an exam...

I am looking for shortcuts to save time like the one I posted above...

I am asking if besides sorting it out manually and expanding the above equation to a POS than map it. Is there anyway to map the above into K-map quick or change the portions to include all 3 A, B, C using any techniques?

Yeah, but i c ur point, it seems quickest in this case.

Well, if time was of the essence, I might do it this way for a product of sums. Here's your example:

This will be 0 if and only if one of the factors is zero, and each factor will be zero only if each term is zero. So for each factor, note what makes it zero:

(A+B+C) 0,0,0
(A+B'+C) 0,1,0
(A+B+C') 0,0,1
(A'+B+C) 1.0.0
(A'+B') 1,1,X (here it doesn't matter what X is)

The above can be read off immediately from your formula. Put in 0's accordingly in your K map and 1's everywhere else. Should be fast enough for an exam.

LCKurtz said:
Well, if time was of the essence, I might do it this way for a product of sums. Here's your example:

This will be 0 if and only if one of the factors is zero, and each factor will be zero only if each term is zero. So for each factor, note what makes it zero:

(A+B+C) 0,0,0
(A+B'+C) 0,1,0
(A+B+C') 0,0,1
(A'+B+C) 1.0.0
(A'+B') 1,1,X (here it doesn't matter what X is)

The above can be read off immediately from your formula. Put in 0's accordingly in your K map and 1's everywhere else. Should be fast enough for an exam.

I see what you mean, but I can't map the above... see the way I been taugh a K-map can be divided into portions of numbers.

0 1 3 2
4 5 7 6
12 13 15 16
8 9 11 10

So by adding up the binary numbers of the portions I can immediately know where to map it.. example (A'+B+C) 1.0.0 gives me 4... so it goes in 4.

Yep, so I suppose from the equation I gave, doing it manually maybe the fastest way.

DorumonSg said:
I see what you mean, but I can't map the above... see the way I been taugh a K-map can be divided into portions of numbers.

0 1 3 2
4 5 7 6
12 13 15 16
8 9 11 10

So by adding up the binary numbers of the portions I can immediately know where to map it.. example (A'+B+C) 1.0.0 gives me 4... so it goes in 4.

Yep, so I suppose from the equation I gave, doing it manually maybe the fastest way.

But you don't have to do the binary conversion to fill in your k-table. Don't you label the top and left side with the reflected Gray code, like this?:

--- 00 01 11 10
---------------------
00|
01| 0
11|
10|

Your example only has three bits, so you would only need two rows. But the point is that you can read the binary right off the table and put the 0's in. For example, I have put the 0 in the 100 spot; I don't have to think about the fact that is 4.

What is Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement?

Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement is a type of homework assignment commonly given in math and science classes. It involves simplifying Boolean expressions using Karnaugh maps, which are graphical tools used to simplify and analyze logical expressions.

What is the purpose of Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement?

The purpose of Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement is to help students understand and master the concept of Boolean algebra and simplification of logical expressions. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How do I approach a Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement?

To approach a Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement, first familiarize yourself with the rules and techniques for using Karnaugh maps to simplify Boolean expressions. Then carefully analyze the given expression and identify any patterns or groups that can be simplified. Finally, apply the rules and techniques to simplify the expression and check your answer for accuracy.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement include not understanding the rules and techniques for using Karnaugh maps, not properly identifying patterns or groups for simplification, and not checking the final answer for accuracy. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

What resources can I use to help me with Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement?

There are many online resources available to help with Simplify & K-Map Homework Statement, such as tutorials, practice problems, and videos. Your teacher or classmates may also be able to provide additional assistance. It is important to also practice regularly and seek help if you are struggling with the concept.