How do I simplify cubed roots with multiple variables and coefficients?

In summary, the problem is asking to simplify the expression (³√9xy^4 * ³√12x³y) by breaking up each part of the cubed roots and simplifying them. The solution involves simplifying the obvious cubed roots and rewriting √12 as 2√3. After rearranging the terms, the answer is given as 3xy * ³√4xy². The key is to bring everything under a single cubic root and use parentheses to clarify what is under the roots.
AnTiFreeze3

Homework Statement

Simplify...

Homework Equations

Starting Equation:

³√9xy^4 * ³√12x³y

The Attempt at a Solution

(Sorry ahead of time if this is sloppy)

³√9xy^4 * ³√12x³y - I broke up each part of the cubed roots to try and simplify them³√9 * ³√x * ³√y * ³√y³ * ³√y * ³√12 * ³√x³ * ³√y³ - I then simplified the obvious cubed roots, and simplified √12 to 2√3:

y * ³√9xy * 2x * ³√3y - This is where I'm stuck.I don't understand how I can simplify if further when 9 has no rational number that can be multiplied by itself 3 times to get to 9, yet apparently the answer to it doesn't have 9 under the radical.

The answer, to help out anybody who wants to help me, is:

3xy * ³√4xy²Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is really under the roots? Use parentheses! Bring everything under a single cubic root. ehild

ehild said:
What is really under the roots? Use parentheses! Bring everything under a single cubic root. ehild
Alright, thanks for the help. So, since I have a coefficient and similar variables under the cubed roots, I can change around where they all go?

And at first, I thought ehild was trying to call me a child for not knowing the answer, and just misspelled it...

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a cubed root?

A cubed root is the number that, when multiplied by itself three times, gives the original number. It is the inverse operation of cubing a number.

How do you simplify a cubed root?

To simplify a cubed root, you need to find the perfect cube factors of the number inside the radical and take the cube root of them. The leftover factors should be written outside the radical.

What are perfect cube numbers?

Perfect cube numbers are numbers that can be cubed to give a whole number. For example, 2^3 = 8, so 8 is a perfect cube number.

Can you simplify a cubed root of a negative number?

Yes, you can simplify a cubed root of a negative number. However, the answer will always be a complex number, which includes a real and an imaginary part.

How can simplifying cubed roots be useful?

Simplifying cubed roots can be useful in solving equations and simplifying complex mathematical expressions. It can also help in finding the side lengths of cubes and other three-dimensional shapes.