1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying Cubed Roots

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Simplify...

2. Relevant equations
    Starting Equation:

³√9xy^4 * ³√12x³y

3. The attempt at a solution

(Sorry ahead of time if this is sloppy)

³√9xy^4 * ³√12x³y - I broke up each part of the cubed roots to try and simplify them

³√9 * ³√x * ³√y * ³√y³ * ³√y * ³√12 * ³√x³ * ³√y³ - I then simplified the obvious cubed roots, and simplified √12 to 2√3:

y * ³√9xy * 2x * ³√3y - This is where I'm stuck.

I don't understand how I can simplify if further when 9 has no rational number that can be multiplied by itself 3 times to get to 9, yet apparently the answer to it doesn't have 9 under the radical.

The answer, to help out anybody who wants to help me, is:

3xy * ³√4xy²

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is really under the roots? Use parentheses! Bring everything under a single cubic root.

ehild

4. May 17, 2012 #3

Alright, thanks for the help. So, since I have a coefficient and similar variables under the cubed roots, I can change around where they all go?

And at first, I thought ehild was trying to call me a child for not knowing the answer, and just misspelled it.....

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook