Simplifying Derivatives: Solving for Constants in f'(x) = [(x+c)/(mx+n)]p

In summary, the problem is asking for the values of c, m, n, and p in the simplified form of f '(x). The derivative of cos-1(x) is -1/(sqrt(1-x2). The solution is to multiply -1/(sqrt(1-(x/2)2)) by 2/2 instead of 1/2.
Whiz

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = sqrt(4-x2) + 2cos-1(x/2)

Then f '(x) can be written in simplified form -[(x+c)/(mx+n)]p
NOTE: I'm not sure if that negative is supposed to be there since my book is smudged.

What are the values of c, m, n, and p?

Homework Equations

Derivative of cos-1(x) is -1/(sqrt(1-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derivative to be -x/sqrt(4-x2) - 1/sqrt(1-(x/2)2)

My problem is that I have no idea how to simplify it into that form. Can anyone offer me some assistance on this question?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying [tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{2})^{2}}}\cdot\frac{2}{2}[/tex]

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It represents the slope of a tangent line at that point on the graph of the function.

2. How do you simplify a derivative?

To simplify a derivative, you can use various rules and formulas such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help you simplify the expression by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are the benefits of simplifying a derivative?

Simplifying a derivative allows you to better understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It also helps you to solve more complex mathematical problems involving derivatives.

4. When should you use the chain rule to simplify a derivative?

The chain rule is used when you have a function within a function. It allows you to find the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

5. Can you simplify a derivative with multiple variables?

Yes, you can simplify a derivative with multiple variables by using the partial derivatives method. This involves taking the derivative with respect to one variable while holding the others constant.