1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying Equatons

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    I have just been doing some algebra homework. The are just problems that I can't work out. I wonder if anyone can explain how to solve them?

3x + (-3) = x + 199
    x = ?
    I know the answer is x = 101 but I haven't worked it out in the right way. I just did it by deduction which took ages. What is the right way to tackle this problem?

I have the same problem with this one. I know that x = 25 but how do you work it out?

-300 -(-4x) = + -8x

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

[tex]3x-3=x+199[/tex]

You're trying to solve for x so the ultimate goal here is to move all the x onto one side of the equation, and then simplify to isolate it, x=...

[tex]-300-(-4x)=\pm 8x[/tex]

Is that actually meant to be a [itex]\pm[/itex]? Because if so, the difficulty between the first and second equation is pretty significant. Unless of course I misread the first equation?

Anyway, you can do this by mainly two ways:
    1) square both sides and solve the quadratic
    2) Take seperate cases, first use 8x and then -8x

Oh and you do realize that [itex]-(-4x)=4x[/itex], right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook