Simplifying expectation values

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion over simplifying a given solution for an expectation value sum. The solution involves factors from the normalization of a wave function and the use of -i\hbar and d/dx. There is a discrepancy between the given solution and the expected answer, and it is determined that the given solution is incorrect due to a mistake in the normalization process.
Skullmonkee
Just a quick question.
I finished an expectation value sum and noticed that the given solution had me stumped.
Ive attached a quick picture of the simplifying process which was given as the solution.

The only thing i don't understand is how to get the value iCm/(pi*hbar)^1/2.
I don't know how it simplifies to that as i get another answer. You'll have to have a look at the attached picture to see what i mean.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
The first factor underlined in red comes from the two factors of
[tex]\left( \frac{\sqrt{C m}}{\pi \hbar} \right)^{1/4}[/tex]
on the top line, which are - IIRC - from the normalisation of your wave function.
The second factor in red comes from the [itex]-i\hbar[/itex] in front of the d/dx, combined with the [itex]2 \left( \sqrt{C m}/(2 \hbar) \right) [/itex] which comes down from the exponential when you apply the d/dx.

In the third red underlined term, I suspect that instead of C m there should be (C m)^(3/4). Because if you let k = sqrt(C m) you have a sqrt(k) multiplied by k, which gives k^(3/2), i.e. ((C m)^(1/2))^(3/2) = (C m)^(3/4).

Thanks CompuChip

That was my thought exactly. I could not see how there was not a (C m)^(3/4) term. At least i was on the ball there. I suppose that the solution which was given (the working i showed in the pic) is just wrong then?

The mistake is at the beginning. The 1/4 should be 1/2 for correct normalization.

What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is the average value of a physical quantity in a given system, calculated based on the probability of that quantity occurring.

Why is it important to simplify expectation values?

Simplifying expectation values can help make complex calculations more manageable and easier to interpret. It also allows for a better understanding of the underlying physical principles and relationships between different variables.

How do you calculate expectation values?

The expectation value of a physical quantity is calculated by multiplying the possible values of that quantity by their respective probabilities, and then summing up all of these products. This can be represented mathematically as ∑xP(x), where x is the possible values and P(x) is the probability of each value occurring.

What are some common simplification techniques for expectation values?

One common technique is using symmetry arguments to reduce the number of terms in the calculation. Another is using approximations or simplifying assumptions to make the calculation more manageable. Additionally, simplifying algebraic expressions and using known relationships between variables can also help simplify expectation values.

What are some real-life applications of simplified expectation values?

Simplified expectation values are used in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamics. They are also used in engineering and economics to predict the behavior of complex systems and make informed decisions. In addition, simplified expectation values are used in data analysis to understand trends and make predictions based on probability distributions.