1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying expectation values

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1
    Just a quick question.
    I finished an expectation value sum and noticed that the given solution had me stumped.
    Ive attached a quick picture of the simplifying process which was given as the solution.

The only thing i don't understand is how to get the value iCm/(pi*hbar)^1/2.
    I don't know how it simplifies to that as i get another answer. You'll have to have a look at the attached picture to see what i mean.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first factor underlined in red comes from the two factors of
    [tex]\left( \frac{\sqrt{C m}}{\pi \hbar} \right)^{1/4}[/tex]
    on the top line, which are - IIRC - from the normalisation of your wave function.
    The second factor in red comes from the [itex]-i\hbar[/itex] in front of the d/dx, combined with the [itex]2 \left( \sqrt{C m}/(2 \hbar) \right) [/itex] which comes down from the exponential when you apply the d/dx.

In the third red underlined term, I suspect that instead of C m there should be (C m)^(3/4). Because if you let k = sqrt(C m) you have a sqrt(k) multiplied by k, which gives k^(3/2), i.e. ((C m)^(1/2))^(3/2) = (C m)^(3/4).

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks CompuChip

That was my thought exactly. I could not see how there was not a (C m)^(3/4) term. At least i was on the ball there. I suppose that the solution which was given (the working i showed in the pic) is just wrong then?

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

The mistake is at the beginning. The 1/4 should be 1/2 for correct normalization.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook