Finding Percent Error in S.R. Problem: Simplifying Expression with 6.7x10^(-16)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the exact percentage in a problem involving small numbers and an order of magnitude approximation. The result is very close to 6.7 x 10^-16 and can be simplified by multiplying the numerator and denominator by 10^16. However, for the exact value, long division or a calculator with high precision is needed. The conversation ends with the issue being resolved and the person thanking for the reply.
Legion81
I'm finding the percent error in a S.R. problem and getting a really small number. How can I find the exact percentage? This is the result that needs to be simplified:

6.7x10^(-16) / (1 + 6.7x10^(-16))

If I do an order of magnitude approximation, then the bottom becomes 1, but that will make the top zero since we are assuming 6.7x10^(-16) to be zero.

Any ideas on simplifying this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The result is very close to 6.7 X 10-16.

[tex]\frac{6.7 x 10^{-16}}{1 + 6.7 x 10^{-16}} = \frac{6.7}{10^{16} + 6.7}[/tex]

by multiplying the numerator and denominator by 1016.

If you want the exact value, divide 6.7 by 10000000000000006.7, either by long division or a calculator that can handle this many significant digits.

Why do you need this much precision, though?

Ah! I should have thought of that. It's a problem in Griffith's EM chapter 12. They want the percent error using Galilean vs Einstein velocity addition for two things moving 5mph and 60mph. I guess it's to show this is a non-relativistic speed? Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Thank you for the reply. My calculator and Mathematica didn't want to spit out that many digits.

Consider this thread solved.

What is an expression?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and mathematical operations (such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation).

Why do we simplify expressions?

We simplify expressions to make them easier to work with and to find equivalent forms that are more useful for solving equations and performing other mathematical operations.

How do we simplify expressions?

To simplify an expression, we use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to evaluate any numerical operations first, followed by any variable operations. We then combine like terms and apply any simplification rules, such as the distributive property or exponent rules.

What are like terms?

Like terms are terms that have the same variables raised to the same powers. They can be combined by adding or subtracting their coefficients.

What is the difference between simplifying and solving an expression?

Simplifying an expression involves reducing it to its most basic form, while solving an expression involves finding the value of the variable that makes the expression true. Simplifying may be a step in the process of solving an expression, but they are not the same thing.