1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simplifying expressions

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    I got the following 2 questions in a recent maths test. Can anyone please explain the correct way to simplify these expressions?

4u to the power of 3 v to the power of 6 / 8u to the power of 2 v to the power of 3

3x to the power of 6 y to the power of 5 z to the power of 3 / 9x to the power of 4 y to the power of 2 z

I know that the answers are:
    uv to the power of 3 / 2
    and
    x to the power of 2 y to the power of 3 z to the power of 2 / 3

... which were nothing like my answers!
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Gringo123! :smile:

erm :redface: … first write it out in maths instead of in English … that alone may help you!

(and use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Then show us what you've done, so we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I think you mean
    [tex]\frac{4u^3v^6}{8u^2v^3}= \frac{4}{8}\frac{u^3}{u^2}\frac{v^6}{v^3}[/tex]

cancel in each fraction.

[tex]\frac{3x^6 y^5z^3}{9x^4y^2z}= \frac{3}{9}\frac{x^6}{x^2}\frac{y^5}{y^2}\frac{z^3}{z}[/tex]

Again, cancel in each fraction.

I've done those using "LaTex" but you can also get exponents with [ sup ] and [ /sup ] (without the spaces) x[ sup ]2[ /sup ] gives x2. Or you can indicate exponents with ^: x^2. Oh, and please use parentheses so we can be sure you mean 4(u^3), not (4u^3).

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

And while 4(u^3)=(4u^3) be sure to use parenthesis to indicate the power is only on u.
    for e.g. 4u^3 is read as 4*u^3 while (4u)^3 is read as 4^3*u^3.

6. Feb 15, 2010 #5
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook