How do I simplify these expressions in my maths test?

In summary, to simplify these expressions, you need to cancel in each fraction, use "LaTex", and use parentheses to indicate the power is only on u.
Gringo123
I got the following 2 questions in a recent maths test. Can anyone please explain the correct way to simplify these expressions?

4u to the power of 3 v to the power of 6 / 8u to the power of 2 v to the power of 3

3x to the power of 6 y to the power of 5 z to the power of 3 / 9x to the power of 4 y to the power of 2 z

I know that the answers are:
uv to the power of 3 / 2
and
x to the power of 2 y to the power of 3 z to the power of 2 / 3

... which were nothing like my answers!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gringo123! :smile:

erm :redface: … first write it out in maths instead of in English … that alone may help you!

(and use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Then show us what you've done, so we'll know how to help! :smile:

Gringo123 said:
I got the following 2 questions in a recent maths test. Can anyone please explain the correct way to simplify these expressions?

4u to the power of 3 v to the power of 6 / 8u to the power of 2 v to the power of 3
I think you mean
[tex]\frac{4u^3v^6}{8u^2v^3}= \frac{4}{8}\frac{u^3}{u^2}\frac{v^6}{v^3}[/tex]

cancel in each fraction.

3x to the power of 6 y to the power of 5 z to the power of 3 / 9x to the power of 4 y to the power of 2 z
[tex]\frac{3x^6 y^5z^3}{9x^4y^2z}= \frac{3}{9}\frac{x^6}{x^2}\frac{y^5}{y^2}\frac{z^3}{z}[/tex]

Again, cancel in each fraction.

I know that the answers are:
uv to the power of 3 / 2
and
x to the power of 2 y to the power of 3 z to the power of 2 / 3

... which were nothing like my answers!
Thanks
I've done those using "LaTex" but you can also get exponents with [ sup ] and [ /sup ] (without the spaces) x[ sup ]2[ /sup ] gives x2. Or you can indicate exponents with ^: x^2. Oh, and please use parentheses so we can be sure you mean 4(u^3), not (4u^3).

HallsofIvy said:
Oh, and please use parentheses so we can be sure you mean 4(u^3), not (4u^3).

And while 4(u^3)=(4u^3) be sure to use parenthesis to indicate the power is only on u.
for e.g. 4u^3 is read as 4*u^3 while (4u)^3 is read as 4^3*u^3.

Thanks a lot for your help!

1. What does it mean to "simplify" an expression?

Simplifying an expression means to perform any necessary operations (such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) to reduce the expression to its most basic and concise form. This is often done to make the expression easier to solve or to better understand its underlying structure.

2. How do I know when an expression is simplified?

An expression is considered simplified when all like terms (terms with the same variables and exponents) have been combined and there are no more operations that can be performed. The expression should also be written in its most reduced form, with no unnecessary parentheses or symbols.

3. What are some common techniques for simplifying expressions?

Some common techniques for simplifying expressions include factoring, using the distributive property, combining like terms, and using exponent rules. It is also helpful to follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) to ensure that the expression is simplified correctly.

4. Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions can make them easier to understand and work with. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships within the expression, making it easier to solve. Additionally, simplified expressions can be substituted into equations or used in other mathematical operations more easily.

5. Can all expressions be simplified?

Not all expressions can be simplified. Some expressions may already be in their simplest form, while others may not have any like terms or operations that can be performed. It is important to carefully examine each expression and determine if it can be simplified before attempting to do so.