1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying Sigma Notation

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm actually asked to calculate the area under the curve 5x + x2 over the interval [0,1] using Riemann Sums. I found the formula for the Riemann sum over the interval, it being the following:

[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{5k}{n}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{k^{2}}{n^{2}}[/itex])([itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])

However, I am asked to simplify the sigma notation to find the sum in terms of n only, which is where I'm currently stuck.

2. Relevant equations

None, I believe. Except perhaps the sum formulas for positive integers

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually just went ahead and multiplied through and separated each term like so

[itex]\frac{5}{n^{2}}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] k +[itex]\frac{1}{n^{3}}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] k[itex]^{2}[/itex]

I, however, was left with something completely different from the expected answers given. Am I going through this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2
    Yes, you are on the right track. Now use a closed-form expression for those two sums to get something only in terms of n; then you can take the limit as n goes to infinity.

4. Apr 12, 2012 #3
    Okay, I figured out what I was doing wrong after going through my work - I neglected to multiply part of the numerator of the first sum by 3n, thus giving me something different. So after multiplying through, the end result should be:

[itex]\frac{15n^{3}+15n^{2}}{6n^{3}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{2n^{3}+3n^{2}+n}{6n^{3}}[/itex]

This should simplify to:

[itex]\frac{17n^{3}+18n^{2}+n}{6n^{3}}[/itex]

This could further be simplified by removing [itex]\frac{17n^{3}}{6n^{3}}[/itex] to get

[itex]\frac{17}{6}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{18n+1}{6n^{2}}[/itex], where an n is distributed out of the second term.

Then the limit should be [itex]\frac{17}{6}[/itex] as n approaches infinity since the second term is equal to zero. :D

5. Apr 12, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, that's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook