Simplifying Summations: Finding a Solution for a Tricky Problem

• Thread starter KatieLynn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a summation that involves the square root of i. The person is unsure if they can simply square the entire problem to make it only involve i. There is also confusion about the variable i and whether it denotes the square root of -1 or a variable in the summand. It is suggested to provide the original problem for a better understanding. It is also mentioned that there are no equations for i, i squared, or i cubed.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

I'm trying to simplify a summation. I have something that looks like

[tex]

\sum \sqrt{(1/4)(i)} (1/4)
[/tex]Granted I might have made a mistake setting this up which would make my question irrelevant but anyway.

Homework Equations

there are equations for i, i squared and i cubed

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think there's an equation for the square root of i, so can i square the whole problem to make it just i?

So it would be like...[tex]

\sum \((1/4)(i)(1/16)
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you summing, and where is the i?

I typed x instead of i, i just showed one part of the problem, i just want to know if you can just square the whole thing

does it work if u plug in numbers?

like 1+2+3+4 = 10 .. (edit: not 5) lol

It should not work (using my guessing power)

Is 'i' the variable in the summand which goes from say i=0 to some i=N, or does it denote the square root of -1? I really don't get what you are summing up here. You said there's 'x', so where is it?

You definitely can't 'square it' in the way you are thinking about. You can approximate it pretty well if the upper limit is large. Maybe you should tell us what the actual problem is. As you said, this particular issue may be irrelevant.

from her comment: "there are equations for i, i squared and i cubed "

I think she wants a formula for i^0.5 ...

I don't think there's any

I don't think there is any either. That's why I suggested telling us the original problem. KatieLynn probably doesn't really need one.

What is a summation?

A summation is a mathematical notation used to represent the addition of a sequence of numbers or terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and is read as "sum of".

What is the purpose of simplifying summations?

The purpose of simplifying summations is to make complex mathematical expressions more manageable and easier to solve. It involves using mathematical properties and techniques to rewrite the summation in a simpler form.

What are some common properties used for simplifying summations?

Some common properties used for simplifying summations include the distributive property, the commutative property, and the associative property. Other techniques such as factoring, changing the index of summation, and using known summation formulas can also be helpful.

How do you simplify a summation with a changing index?

To simplify a summation with a changing index, you can use the substitution method. This involves replacing the original index with a new variable, which allows you to rewrite the summation in terms of the new variable and then solve for the original summation.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite summation?

A finite summation has a defined starting and ending point, while an infinite summation does not have an ending point. In other words, a finite summation involves adding a finite number of terms, whereas an infinite summation involves adding an infinite number of terms.