Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying surds upon surds

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

For some surds inside of surds, they can be converted into a more simple form:

[tex]\sqrt{a+b\sqrt{c}}=e+f\sqrt{g}[/tex]

Such as: [tex]\sqrt{11-6\sqrt{2}}=3-\sqrt{2}[/tex]

However, there are some that cannot be simplified into this form (as far as I know).

Such as: [tex]\sqrt{3+\sqrt{7}}[/tex]

I am curious to know if there is fast method in realizing whether these types of equations can be simplified.
    My only way of knowing so far is as follows:

To see if [tex]\sqrt{31+12\sqrt{3}}[/tex] can be simplified, first I let it be equal to some general simplified form:

[tex]\sqrt{31+12\sqrt{3}}=a+b\sqrt{3}[/tex]

squaring both sides:

[tex]a^2+3b^2+2\sqrt{3}ab=31+12\sqrt{3}[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]a^2+3b^2=31[/tex] (1) and
    [tex]2\sqrt{3}ab=12\sqrt{3}[/tex] (2)

Making a or b the subject in (2)
    [tex]b=\frac{6}{a}[/tex]

Substituting into (1)

[tex]a^2+3(\frac{36}{a^2})=31[/tex]

[tex]a^4-31a^2+108=0[/tex]

Now we have a quadratic in [tex]a^2[/tex]. I will now know from the quadratic formula if this expression can be simplified or not by looking at the discriminant. If it is a perfect square, then it can be simplified, else, it cannot be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

4. Feb 2, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Thanks for the link :smile:

For simplicities sake, I have concluded from reading through the site that to quickly check if such questions as I have posed can be denested (this is the term used), I can shorten the procedure by checking:

Given [tex]\sqrt{A \pm B}[/tex] where [tex]A,B[/tex] all reals, [tex]A+B>0[/tex]

Checking to see if [tex]\sqrt{A^2-B^2}[/tex] is a rational number will give me the indication whether to pursue the simplified answer.

Of course there is a wider array of problems, but I am happy with the progress made for the moment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?