1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying Trig Products

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Simplifying Trig Products

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Express the following as a product and simplify.
    sin60° + sin20°

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand what the question is trying to say. For example, do I convert sin60° and then add. I don't understand. Someone please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2
  4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    So, [tex]\sqrt{3}/2[/tex] + sin20°
    = 1.208

Could this be right?
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  5. Oct 30, 2007 #4
    Hi rum2563,
    I dont think you are required to solve it, you just ned to rewrite it in a different form.
    You will need to use a trig identity which converts the sum to a product.
    Moridin has pointed you in the right direction with the hint: "sin a + sin b = some product".
    Look on the webpage Moridin has provided a link to and the equation you need is located under Sum-to-Product Formulas.
  6. Oct 30, 2007 #5
    Thanks Evalesco.

So, here it is:

sin60° + sin20° = 2sin(60+20/2)cos(60+20/2)

Is this right?

Also, because of the fact that you pointed this to me, there is another question I have.

The question states:
    Using the method developed in Example 3 (my note: we don't have the book so we don't know what this method is) of this section, prove each of the following Transformation Formulas.

sinx - siny = 2cos(x+y/2)sin(x-y/2)

Could someone please help me with this? Also, thanks Evalesco and Moridin for helping me out.
  7. Oct 30, 2007 #6
    Not quite; apply the correct formula under the headline "Sum-to-Product Formulas" and do not forget the signs or what should be divided with two.
  8. Oct 30, 2007 #7
  9. Oct 30, 2007 #8
    Yep it's correct.
    Did you mean sinx - siny = 2cos((x+y)/2)sin((x-y)/2)?

I will start you out on one way of showing the above

Start out with sinx - siny

[tex] Then \ let \ x=\frac{x+y}{2}+\frac{x-y}{2} \ and \ let \ y=\frac{x+y}{2}-\frac{x-y}{2}[/tex]

You will find the identities sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b)+cos(a)sin(b) and sin(a-b) = sin(a)cos(b)-cos(a)sin(b) will come in handy for the next step.

Let me know how you get on.
  10. Oct 31, 2007 #9
    Yes, I finally got it.

sin60° + sin20° = 2sin((x+y)/2)cos((x-y)/2)

A + B = 60°
    A - B = 20°
    ---------- +
    2A = 80°
    A = 40°

A + B = 60°
    A - B = 20°
    ---------- -
    2B = 40°
    B = 20°

sin60° + sin20° = 2sin(40°)cos(20°)

Yes, I finally got it. But could there have been an easier way? Or is this good enough? I tried my best anyways.

Thanks to Evalesco and Moridin for helping me out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?