How do I calculate the normal force using vector components?

• Thread starter gigaubunntu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the normal force (Fn) in a problem involving forces. The person knows how to calculate the resultant force (F_act) by adding Fn and the force of gravity (F_g) as vectors, but has forgotten how to calculate Fn. They are reviewing past tests and are unsure of the equations to use. The conversation also mentions using a diagram and considering vector components to find Fn.
gigaubunntu

Homework Statement

I know how to calculate F_act by adding F_N and F_g as vectors. But I completely forgot how to calculate F_N! We did forces a few months ago and I'm going over past tests. I'm stumped. I feel pretty dumb ATM.

Homework Equations

Unsure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to go from here. I made you all a diagram:

fxbos.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no other forces in the direction opposite of your normal force vector into the ramp, so the block's weight will be the only thing that contribute to the normal force

So the Fn is the opposite of Fg, so 9.8 x 10 = 980 N?

no, Fn is not the "opposite" of Fg
Fg is pointing down, while Fn is on a diagonal

Okay so how do you calculate Fn?

big hint: vector components..

1. What is "Simply calculating Fn"?

"Simply calculating Fn" refers to the process of determining the value of the nth term in a mathematical sequence, also known as the Fibonacci sequence. This sequence follows a pattern where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers.

2. How is "Simply calculating Fn" useful?

Calculating Fn can be useful in a variety of fields, including mathematics, computer science, and biology. It can be used to model natural phenomena, analyze data, and solve problems related to growth and patterns.

3. What is the formula for "Simply calculating Fn"?

The formula for calculating Fn is Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2, where n represents the term in the sequence and Fn-1 and Fn-2 are the two preceding terms. For example, F5 = F4 + F3 = 3 + 2 = 5.

4. Are there any shortcuts for "Simply calculating Fn"?

Yes, there are several shortcuts or techniques that can be used to calculate Fn more efficiently. These include using Binet's formula, the golden ratio, and matrix multiplication. However, these techniques may require more advanced mathematical knowledge.

5. Can "Simply calculating Fn" be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the Fibonacci sequence and its properties have been observed in various natural phenomena, such as the growth of plants and animals, the arrangement of leaves on a stem, and the spirals of galaxies. It can also be used in financial markets and computer algorithms.