Is Every Path Connected and Open Set in the Complex Plane Simply Connected?

• Thread starter Applejacks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    domains
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a simply connected domain in the complex plane and its definition as an open and path connected set where every simple closed path only encloses points within the set. The conversation also explores examples and clarifications of this definition.
Applejacks

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/unledflsq.png/

Homework Equations

A simply connected domain D in the complex plane is an open and path
connected set such that every simple closed path in D encloses only points of D.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers are a,c and d.I don't understand why they all aren't simply connected. They are all path connected and open. Am I misunderstanding the definition of open?

Physics news on Phys.org
Applejacks said:

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/unledflsq.png/

Homework Equations

A simply connected domain D in the complex plane is an open and path
connected set such that every simple closed path in D encloses only points of D.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers are a,c and d.I don't understand why they all aren't simply connected. They are all path connected and open. Am I misunderstanding the definition of open?

consider the following path in (b):

p(t) = (3/2)(cos(2πt) + i sin(2πt)). does that enclose "only points of D"?

There's a path in the annulus in b that encloses the origin z=0. What is it? Is z=0 in the annulus?

Dick said:
There's a path in the annulus in b that encloses the origin z=0. What is it? Is z=0 in the annulus?

there's a lot of such paths. even discounting homotopic ones, there's still an infinite number.

Deveno said:
there's a lot of such paths. even discounting homotopic ones, there's still an infinite number.

I know. I was just asking Applejacks to give me one.

and a good one, at that! :)

Deveno said:
and a good one, at that! :)

Well, you gave Applejacks the path, and I gave him a point it encloses that isn't in D. So that should pretty much settle this I would hope. We make a good team.

1. What is a simply connected domain?

A simply connected domain is a type of mathematical region in which any closed curve can be continuously shrunk to a single point without leaving the region. In other words, there are no holes or gaps in the domain.

2. How is a simply connected domain different from a multiply connected domain?

A multiply connected domain has one or more holes or gaps, while a simply connected domain does not. This means that in a simply connected domain, any closed curve can be shrunk to a single point, while in a multiply connected domain, there are closed curves that cannot be shrunk to a point without leaving the domain.

3. What are some real-world examples of simply connected domains?

Some examples of simply connected domains include a disk, a rectangle, and a sphere. These are all regions that do not have any holes or gaps and any closed curve can be continuously shrunk to a point within the region.

4. How is the concept of a simply connected domain used in mathematics?

The concept of a simply connected domain is important in complex analysis and topology. In complex analysis, simply connected domains are used to define and study holomorphic functions, which are important in many areas of mathematics and physics. In topology, simply connected domains are used to study the properties of continuous functions and surfaces.

5. Can a simply connected domain be unbounded?

Yes, a simply connected domain can be unbounded, meaning that it extends infinitely in one or more directions. For example, a plane or a cylinder are both simply connected domains that are unbounded. The key characteristic of a simply connected domain is that it does not have any holes or gaps, regardless of its size or shape.