1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simply inequality proof

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    prove [itex] |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| [/itex]

i've proved it considering all the 4 cases for a and b but the book went about it a different way:

[itex] (|a+b|)^2 = (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 [/itex]
    [itex] \leq a^2 + 2|a||b| + b^2 [/itex]
    [itex] = |a|^2 + 2|a||b| + |b|^2 [/itex]
    [itex] = (|a|+|b|)^2 [/itex]

it then goes on the conclude that [itex] |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| [/itex] because [itex] x^2 \leq y^2 [/itex] implies [itex] x < y [/itex]

I don't get there the [itex] \leq [/itex] comes from... nor the conclusion

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Should be ##x^2 \leq y^2 \implies x \leq y##.

And it only holds for non-negative ##x## and ##y##. Not a problem here, because in the original proof, you're dealing with absolute quantities which are, by definition, non-negative.

Prove it by bringing the ##y^2## to the LHS, then factorise. What can you conclude?

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3
    ## x^2 - y^2 \leq 0 ##
    ## (x+y)(x-y) \leq 0 ##
    ## -y \leq x \leq y ##

I don't understand what that shows, also I don't this step in their proof:

[itex] \leq a^2 + 2|a||b| + b^2 [/itex]

where did the ## \leq ## sign come from? Also, their proof is for [itex] |a+b| = |a| + |b| [/itex], how does their conclusion make it ## |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| ## ?

thanks

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

From this step, observe that ##(x+y)## is non-negative (because ##x## and ##y## are both non-negative). Hence you can cancel ##(x+y)## from the LHS and you're left with ##x \leq y## as required.

That allows you to go from ##(|a + b|)^2 \leq (|a| + |b|)^2## to ##|a + b| \leq |a| + |b|##, which is the very thing they are trying to prove.

Basically, that amounts to saying ##ab \leq |a||b|##. The equality holds as long as both a and b have the same sign (either both positive or both negative) or when at least one of them is zero. But if a and b have opposite sign (i.e. one of them is positive, the other is negative), then ##ab < |a||b|## because the LHS will become negative while the RHS is always positive.

So ##ab \leq |a||b|## covers all the possibilities. Multiply that by 2 to get ##2ab \leq 2|a||b|##. Add ##a^2 + b^2## to it to get exactly what they wrote down.

No it isn't and that statement is not even true in general. Why do you think that?

Work through the algebra again. I think you're getting confused because the signs alternate between equal and less-than-equal, then back to equal in a long "chain". I think you should write all the steps down systematically in terms of a single LHS and RHS with only a single sign between them at each step, and see if you can understand it better.

6. Aug 26, 2013 #5

statdad

Homework Helper

The first [itex] \le [/itex] occurs because, for any numbers [itex] w [/itex], [itex] w \le |w| [/itex]

Next, you have reached the point where you have
    [tex]
    |a+b|^2 \le \left( |a| + |b| \right)^2
    [/tex]

Everything involved is non-negative because of the absolute values: what happens when you apply square roots?

7. Aug 26, 2013 #6
    thank you both... I wrote it down step by step and got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted