Simplyfying (Indentitied related)

• Thread starter ASMATHSHELPME
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation focuses on simplifying the expression x^4 +Ax^3 + 5x^2 + x + 3 and finding the value of A through the law of distribution of multiplication over addition. The participants also discuss further simplifications and the challenges they face in understanding basic mathematics.
ASMATHSHELPME
Simple for you guys i guess, But tough for me - Guess I am just thick!

[itex]x^4 +Ax^3 + 5x^2 + x + 3 = (x^2 +4)(X^2 -x +B) +Cx +D[/itex]

I get:

[itex]x^4 +Ax^3 + 5x^2 + x + 3 = X^4 -x^3 - 4x^2 + Bx^2 - 4x + 4B + Cx + D[/itex]

Now, I think i need to simplify this more because i can't compare co-efficients can i?

Can someone run me through the further simplifications?

Maybe [itex]Bx^2 + 4x^2[/itex] into [itex](4+B)X^2[/itex] ? Is this wise and possible? What else?

Need to learn simplification better, Finding my basic maths is poor so Alevel is tough!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The law of distribution of multiplication over addition: a*(b + c) = a*b + a*c. The equality sign means that any expression of the form of the right hand side may be replaced by the expression on the left hand side (and vice versa) and still maintain the truth of the original expression. As long as X=x in your expression, what you're doing is fine. :smile:

You're on the right path, my friend!

[tex]x^4 +Ax^3 + 5x^2 + x + 3 = (x^2 +4)(x^2 -x +B) +Cx +D[/tex]
<=>
[tex]x^4 +Ax^3 + 5x^2 + x + 3 = x^4 - x^3 + Bx^2 + 4x^2 - 4x + 4B +Cx +D[/tex]
<=(cancellation & simplification)=>
[tex]Ax^3 + 5x^2 + x + 3 = - x^3 + (B+4)x^2 + (C-4)x + 4B + D[/tex]

Now recall that if that is true for all x, then the corresponding coefficients must be equal. You can just look at that and see what A must be!

1. What is simplifying in relation to identification?

Simplifying in relation to identification is the process of making something easier to understand or analyze by reducing it to its most basic elements. In regards to identification, simplifying can involve streamlining the identification process or simplifying the identification criteria.

2. Why is simplifying important in identification?

Simplifying is important in identification because it can help make the process more efficient and accurate. By reducing complex identification processes, it can save time and resources while still achieving the desired results. Simplifying can also help make identification more accessible to a wider range of individuals or groups.

3. How can simplifying be achieved in identification?

Simplifying in identification can be achieved by breaking down the process into smaller, more manageable steps. This can also involve using technology or automation to streamline the process. Additionally, simplifying can involve revisiting and reassessing the identification criteria to eliminate unnecessary or redundant steps.

4. What are the benefits of simplifying in identification?

The benefits of simplifying in identification include increased efficiency, accuracy, and accessibility. By streamlining the process, it can save time and resources, while also reducing the potential for human error. Simplifying can also make identification more accessible to a wider range of individuals or groups, promoting inclusivity and diversity.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to simplifying in identification?

While there are many benefits to simplifying in identification, there can also be potential drawbacks. Simplifying too much can lead to oversimplification and potentially overlook important details or information. It is important to strike a balance between simplifying and maintaining the necessary level of complexity for accurate identification.