1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simpsons/Trapazoidal rule

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    I believe the following problem involves using the Simpsons/Trapazoidal rule, and I've tried everything and get nowhere but rediculus integrals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the harmonic oscillator, the kinetic energy is:

<K>=(1/T) Integral[0.5 m(x^2), {t, 0, T}] (I hope that's clear, I typed it as I would in mathematica, sort of)

where x is the position. Now if x(t)=5.0Sin[wt] then determine the average energyover a period of time equal to 5 seconds for differing values of the period y, where w=2pi/y . Calculate the average kinetic energy if the mass is 0.100kg and the period y takes on values of 1,2,3,4 and 5 seconds and then plot the average kinetic energy against period.

So in case the t's are confusing, T=5, and the upper limit on the integral would be 5, the lower 0 and the variable of integration would be t. Thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The integral of sin2 ([itex]\omega[/itex]t) should be straightforward. Squaring the function ensures it is positive and nonzero.

4. Feb 28, 2006 #3
    Okay, I see now. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?