1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulating electric or electromagnetic field of a dipole antenna with MATLAB PDETOOL

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    Hello people:

Have you ever simulated a dipole antenna in MATLAB, for example, using PDETOOL?

I am trying to achieve this, but I reach to non-accurate solutions when I set non-canonical phantoms in the environment of the dipole, comparing the results with comercial softwares.

This is because I just solve the Helmholtz equation

Laplacian of E + k^2 * E = 0

with k=2*pi*f*sqrt(mu*epsilon_c), and epsilon_c=epsilon_0*(epsilon_-j*epsilon__), and epsilon__=sigma/(2*pi*f*epsilon_0)

PDETOOL solve this equation using assempde pretty good when I set also some boundary conditions, and I set Neumann boundary conditions, using the gradient of the electric field radiated by a dipole in free-space, taking the analytical equation from Balanis - Antenna Theory.

But in this process, I do not set the dipole in the simulation domain.

Now I am trying to do this, taking into account J (current density), but I am not able to achieve any good result. I fail even in achieve the result for the electric field in free space.

I have attacked the problem calculating the inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation

Laplacian of E + k^2 * E = -j*2*pi*f*mu0*J

with J=Im*sin(k*(h-abs(y))), being h the semi-length of the dipole, and the dipole oriented in the y axis, and Im equal to the maximum current.

Also, I tried to calculate the electric potential vector, A, solving

Laplacian of A + k^2 * A = -mu0*J

and I also failed.

Note that I just simulate the dipole in free-space to validate the calculation method, but I need this method later for more complicated problems, not just the E field in free-space, solve in Modeling Antennas using MATLAB.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted