Analyse Simulated Galaxies with SDSS Telescope | Survey by J.W. Trayford

• Thread starter wmfw23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxies
In summary, a user is working on analyzing high-volume cosmological simulations for their masters project. They have also created a survey to classify simulated galaxies and are looking for feedback and participation from experts. The survey is aimed at a layman audience and the results could provide context for their numerical analysis. The user is also looking for ideas to increase participation and mentions having participated in a similar project in the past.
wmfw23
Hi Guys!

My first post here, I'm working on analysing the output of some contemporary high-volume cosmological simulations for my masters project.

As a bit on the side, I've had a go at reproducing how the SDSS telescope would view the simulated galaxies with various colour bands, and creating colour images. I've put a survey up on a website to see if i can get people to classify my galaxies in a galaxy-zoo kind of way. I was wondering if any of you pros could give me some feedback or do the survey for a few galaxies?

Check it out here:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.w.trayford

It's aimed at a layman audience, with simple questions. The statistics of the survey could give me some really nice context for my more rigorous numerical analysis, and ultimately how human classification stacks up against my numerical techniques.Cheers!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks for the survey participation so far, do the questions make sense?

also any ideas to get it out to lots of people would be welcomed! :D

the questions are straight forward to the viewed galaxy. Mind I've also participated in galaxy classification from an interactive NASA program that was a while ago though lol not sure if I even have the link to it.

Mordred said:
the questions are straight forward to the viewed galaxy. Mind I've also participated in galaxy classification from an interactive NASA program that was a while ago though lol not sure if I even have the link to it.

Thanks! yeah its hard to gauge whether everyone would be able to understand it. I had a look at galaxy zoo before hand to try and pitch it right

Hi there,

Congratulations on your project and for taking the initiative to involve the public in your research. It's always great to see scientists engaging with the community and utilizing citizen science methods.

Analyzing simulated galaxies is a complex and important task, and I'm glad to see that you are incorporating the SDSS telescope and its capabilities in your work. The use of color bands and creating color images is a great way to engage the public and provide them with a visual representation of your data.

As for the survey, I think it's a great idea to gather feedback and classifications from a layman audience. This can provide valuable insights and perspectives that may not have been considered before. I would also suggest reaching out to other scientists in the field for their feedback as well.

Overall, I think your approach is innovative and I wish you the best of luck with your research. I will definitely check out your website and participate in the survey. Keep up the great work!

Best,

1. What is the purpose of the "Analyse Simulated Galaxies with SDSS Telescope" survey?

The purpose of the survey is to use simulated galaxies to improve our understanding of how real galaxies form and evolve. It also aims to test and refine current theories and models of galaxy formation.

2. How does the SDSS Telescope collect data for this survey?

The SDSS Telescope uses a large mirror and an array of specialized cameras to capture images of galaxies in different wavelengths of light. This data is then processed and used to create simulated galaxies for analysis.

3. What are some potential applications of the results from this survey?

The results from this survey can be used to better understand the evolution of galaxies, which can have implications for our understanding of the universe as a whole. It can also help improve our understanding of dark matter and dark energy, and potentially lead to advancements in cosmology and astrophysics.

4. How can scientists access the data from this survey?

The data from this survey is publicly available through the SDSS Data Archive. Scientists can also request access to the simulated galaxies used in the analysis through the survey's website.

5. What are some challenges that scientists face when analyzing simulated galaxies?

One challenge is ensuring that the simulated galaxies accurately represent real galaxies. This requires careful calibration and validation of the models and simulations used. Additionally, the vast amount of data collected by the SDSS Telescope can also pose challenges in terms of storage and processing power needed for analysis.