Simulating the movement pattern of an elevator using a class D chopper

In summary, a pulse generator with a 0.5% duty cycle should be connected for the first and third cases, while a pulse generator with a duty cycle greater than 50% should be connected for the second and fourth cases. These signals should then be added and connected to the gate of both switches.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
Attached below.
Relevant Equations
--
The question:
Assignment.JPG

Here's my attempt:

attempt1.JPG

Vdc.JPG
DC machine parameters.JPG

However, I got stuck, I don't know what should be connected to the gate of the switches as the duty cycle changes in each case.
Should I insert a pulse generator with 0.5% duty cycle for the 1st case, another pulse generator with a duty cycle > 50% (for example 75%) for the 2nd case.
For the 3rd (from 6 to 8 sec), duty cycle= 0.5%
For the 4th (from 8 to 12 sec), duty cycle > 50% (eg. 75%) ,etc...
And then add them up and connect it to the gate of both switches?

Could someone please help me solving this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. You need to connect a pulse generator with a duty cycle of 0.5% to the gate of the switches for the first case, and a pulse generator with a duty cycle greater than 50% (for example, 75%) for the second case. For the third case (from 6 to 8 seconds), the duty cycle should be set to 0.5%, and for the fourth case (from 8 to 12 seconds), the duty cycle should be set to greater than 50% (such as 75%). Then, add them up and connect the sum to the gate of both switches.

1. How does a class D chopper simulate the movement pattern of an elevator?

A class D chopper is a type of electronic switch that uses pulse width modulation (PWM) to control the speed and direction of a motor. By adjusting the frequency and duty cycle of the PWM signal, the chopper can simulate the precise movement pattern of an elevator.

2. What are the benefits of using a class D chopper for elevator simulation?

Class D choppers are highly efficient and can provide precise control over the motor speed and direction. They also have a compact design and are cost-effective, making them a popular choice for elevator simulation.

3. Can a class D chopper be used for both AC and DC motors?

Yes, a class D chopper can be used with both AC and DC motors. However, it is important to ensure that the chopper is compatible with the specific type and specifications of the motor being used.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a class D chopper for elevator simulation?

As with any electronic device, there are potential safety concerns when using a class D chopper. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and ensure that the chopper is installed and used correctly to prevent any accidents.

5. Can a class D chopper be controlled remotely?

Yes, a class D chopper can be controlled remotely through the use of a microcontroller or other control system. This allows for more convenient and precise control over the elevator's movement pattern.