Simulation for galaxy dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of simulating disc galaxy dynamics with a nbody code. The main issue is getting accurate initial values for positions and velocities in order to replicate real-life dynamics. The speaker suggests generating a gaussian distribution for positions and using the Newtonian formula for velocities, but this does not result in a stable galaxy. They ask for advice on how to improve the initial conditions and mention the possibility of incorporating a central bulge. Another person suggests adding a massive halo of invisible particles to stabilize the galaxy, and the topic of absurd velocities is also brought up.
fab13
Hello,

I'm trying to simulate disc galaxy dynamics with a nbody code. The main problem is to get
good initial values (positions and velocities of each star) in order to reproduce the
experimental dynamics.

For the positions, I began by generating a gaussian distribution of stars on 0x and Oy plans ( with mux=muy=0.0 and sigmax != sigmay). On 0z direction, I have generated a uniform distribution whose interval is small compared to sigmax and sigmay. ( this is supposed to reproduce the thin thickness of the disc galaxy). For the velocities of each point, I simply took the Newtonian formula :

vx = - ||vnorm|| * sin(theta)

vy = ||vnorm|| * cos(theta)

vz = 0.0

with ||vnorm||=sqrt(GM/R) with R equal to the distance from the origin and M the mass parameter that we have to adjust.

Unfortunately, using the code with these initial conditions, the galaxy is not stable from a dynamics point of view.

I know the model of these conditions is too basic. Could you give me indications to generate initial conditions more accurate, which could reproduce a stable dynamics.

For example, I should take account of a central bulge.

Has anyone got some documentation on this problem and models more elaborated ?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
fab13 said:
Unfortunately, using the code with these initial conditions, the galaxy is not stable from a dynamics point of view.

I know the model of these conditions is too basic. Could you give me indications to generate initial conditions more accurate, which could reproduce a stable dynamics.
What do you mean by this: for how long should it remain stable, until it develops its spiral arms, or further than that?

In case you want to make it stable indefinitely, I think you should use some tricks, the most common is to add a massive halo of invisible particles to it.

||vnorm||=sqrt(GM/R) , won't that produce absurd velocities?
Maybe you could do a velocity dump after so many interactions, to see if they are very high or maxing out.
Personally I'd use (1+R), or to limit it further, add a terminal velocity as well.

1. What is simulation for galaxy dynamics?

Simulation for galaxy dynamics is a method used by scientists to study the movement and interactions of galaxies in a virtual environment. It involves creating computer models that simulate the physical laws and processes that govern the behavior of galaxies.

2. Why is simulation important for studying galaxy dynamics?

Simulation allows scientists to study galaxy dynamics in a controlled environment, where they can manipulate variables and observe their effects on the system. It also allows for the study of processes that are difficult or impossible to observe in real galaxies, such as collisions and interactions between galaxies.

3. What types of data can be obtained from simulations of galaxy dynamics?

Simulations can provide a wealth of data, including the positions, velocities, and masses of individual galaxies, as well as the overall structure and evolution of the simulated galaxy system. They can also be used to study the formation and evolution of galaxies over time.

4. How are simulations of galaxy dynamics created?

Simulations of galaxy dynamics are created using complex computer programs that incorporate mathematical equations, physical laws, and data from observations. These programs use computational techniques to simulate the interactions between galaxies and their environments.

5. What are some challenges in simulating galaxy dynamics?

One of the main challenges in simulating galaxy dynamics is accurately representing the complexity of real galaxies. This requires incorporating a wide range of physical processes and accounting for factors such as dark matter, gas dynamics, and supermassive black holes. Additionally, running simulations can be computationally intensive and time-consuming.