Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulation for galaxy dynamics

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'm trying to simulate disc galaxy dynamics with a nbody code. The main problem is to get
    good initial values (positions and velocities of each star) in order to reproduce the
    experimental dynamics.

For the positions, I began by generating a gaussian distribution of stars on 0x and Oy plans ( with mux=muy=0.0 and sigmax != sigmay). On 0z direction, I have generated a uniform distribution whose interval is small compared to sigmax and sigmay. ( this is supposed to reproduce the thin thickness of the disc galaxy). For the velocities of each point, I simply took the newtonian formula :

vx = - ||vnorm|| * sin(theta)

vy = ||vnorm|| * cos(theta)

vz = 0.0

with ||vnorm||=sqrt(GM/R) with R equal to the distance from the origin and M the mass parameter that we have to adjust.

Unfortunately, using the code with these initial conditions, the galaxy is not stable from a dynamics point of view.

I know the model of these conditions is too basic. Could you give me indications to generate initial conditions more accurate, which could reproduce a stable dynamics.

For example, I should take account of a central bulge.

Has anyone got some documentation on this problem and models more elaborated ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2
    What do you mean by this: for how long should it remain stable, until it develops its spiral arms, or further than that?

In case you want to make it stable indefinitely, I think you should use some tricks, the most common is to add a massive halo of invisible particles to it.

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    ||vnorm||=sqrt(GM/R) , won't that produce absurd velocities?
    Maybe you could do a velocity dump after so many interactions, to see if they are very high or maxing out.
    Personally I'd use (1+R), or to limit it further, add a terminal velocity as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook