Pion Two Body Decay Simulation: Efficiency and Impurity Analysis

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of simulating pion branching fractions in a pion two body decay. The pion decays into either a positron or a muon, which then decays into a positron. The program written randomizes the direction of the positron's momentum and then simulates the positrons hitting a spherical shell. The goal is to see how well the simulation can separate the two types of decays, despite the fact that in a real experiment, it is difficult to distinguish between the two. The conversation also addressed the extra difficulty in accurately simulating the decay rate, which is much lower for positrons compared to muons.
spaghetti3451
Hi I had to write a program to simulate the pion branching fraction in a pion two body decay.

To begin with, the pion decays either to a positron or to a muon which again decays to a positron.

So, the pion beam hits a target and decays at rest to positrons. Then the positrons fly off in random directions. I have written a piece of code that randomises the direction of the momentum of the positrons.

The positrons then hit a spherical shell (the detector) which extends in theta from 40 degrees to 140 degrees and in phi from -pi to pi.

I have been told that in a real experiment, there is no way to know if the pion decayed originally to a muon or a positron except from the measured positron energy, but that in this simulation, we can “cheat” and see how well we would be able to do in the real experiment.

So, I had to choose ranges of the measured energy that selected relatively pure samples of the two different sources of positrons.

Then I had to find the efficiencies for selecting each type of decay(what fractions of events of the correct type are selected).

Then I had to assume that the pion decays to equal numbers of muons and positrons and find the impurity of my selections (how many of the decays ascribed to each type are not actually
correct).

I don't understand why I have done the above.

Also, there is this extra question:

The actual decay rate of the pion to a positron is approximately only 10^−4 of the rate to the muon; what extra difficulties would this cause?

Any hep would ve greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
spaghetti3451 said:
Then I had to assume that the pion decays to equal numbers of muons and positrons and find the impurity of my selections (how many of the decays ascribed to each type are not actually
correct).
Use a pure sample of decays to muons, get the fraction that is misreconstructed as positron decays.
Use a pure sample of decays to positrons, get the fraction that is misreconstructed as muon decays.

Based on that you can get the purity of each selection (in data) for every possible ratio of branching fractions. For 1:1 you'll see that you get a nice separation in both cases, but with 10-4 the same approach will make a mess out of the positron selection: It is possible that you now have more muon decays than positron decays in it!

1. What is a pion two body decay simulation?

A pion two body decay simulation is a computerized model that simulates the decay of a pion particle into two other particles, taking into account various factors such as energy, momentum, and decay products.

2. How is the efficiency of the simulation determined?

The efficiency of the simulation is determined by comparing the number of simulated decays to the number of expected decays based on theoretical calculations. The closer these numbers are, the higher the efficiency of the simulation.

3. What is impurity analysis in relation to pion two body decay simulation?

Impurity analysis refers to the process of identifying and quantifying any unwanted or unexpected particles that may be produced in the pion two body decay simulation. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the simulation results.

4. How is the efficiency of the simulation affected by impurities?

If the impurity levels in the simulation are high, it can lead to a decrease in the efficiency of the simulation. This is because the presence of impurities can interfere with the accurate detection and measurement of the decay products, leading to inaccurate results.

5. Can the results of the pion two body decay simulation be used in real-life experiments?

Yes, the results of the simulation can be used to inform and guide real-life experiments involving pion two body decays. They can also provide valuable insights and predictions about the behavior of these particles in different experimental conditions.