Simulation software for modeling a dusty fission reactor variant.

In summary, a user is seeking recommendations for software to model a concept nuclear rocket design based on a subcritical fast dusty fission fragment reactor. They are specifically interested in modeling the engine's core, which involves electrostatically-suspended nanoscale fissile dust particles in a magnetic field. They mention two design options for the reactor core, one of which involves using a gas or plasma to absorb the radiated heat and potentially function as a photonic rocket. The user suggests starting with modeling the core before working on the other design options, and asks for software recommendations. An expert recommends using the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) software, which is a general-purpose Monte Carlo N-Particle transport code that can be used for various
KarenRei
Hi, all. Could anyone recommend some good software for modeling nuclear physics? I have concept nuclear rocket that I wanted to attempt to model the engine for to see how practical it would be.

In case it's relevant:

The design is a subcritical fast dusty fission fragment reactor driven by a spallation neutron source. The core is based around the current dusty fission fragment rocket proposals:

http://www.google.is/search?hl=is&s.....1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..6.13.1044.xGpGH4dtR2g

That is, to say, electrostatically-suspended nanoscale fissile dust particles in a magnetic field which has little effect on the dust but focuses the emitted fission fragments either into a MHD grid for non-Carnot power generation or out a magnetic nozzle for high-Isp thrust, with heat managed via IR radiation due to the dust's huge surface area to volume ratio. However, said proposal is a slow reactor with a very heavy moderator around the reactor to increase the neutron flux; a fast reactor would dramatically reduce weight and make dealing with the high IR flux much easier.

In addition to the weight advantage, without the need to be surrounded by a moderator, two new design options open up:

1) having the reactor core open to space, allowing most of the IR to radiate out uninterrupted, greatly simplifying cooling; or

2) having the reactor in a transparent sealed fused silica tube (fused silica blackens less under neutron bombardment than fused quartz, and neither lose much transparency in the IR spectrum) in the center of a mirrored nacelle. In this option, hydrogen or another gas could be injected (or, for atmospheric flight, air ducted in) into the nacelle and a small amount of it turned to plasma via microwave bombardment. The sheet of plasma would absorb the radiated IR from the core, heating the bulk gas moving through the engine and out a conventional nozzle on the far end. At low propellant flow rates, a magnetic nozzle could be used instead of a physical one, allowing for higher peak temperatures and a VASIMR-ish mode of operation.

#2 is basically a "nuclear lightbulb" concept but without the need for a gas or plasma core and thus no need for impossibly-heat-resistant materials. And of course, it could still operate in a fission fragment rocket mode by opening up the core to space. Both variants could even potentially function as a photonic rocket. There's many potential modes of operation, running the full range from very high thrust to very high ISP.

The #2 variant is more of a CFD simulation problem, but I think it's important to model the core first before working on any of the above. And if the goal is to get rid of the moderator, that means a fast reactor, and that means an external source of fast neutrons, and that means (until fusion becomes a realistic option) a spallation neutron source input. And that's the core I'd like to try to model. I'm especially curious whether the spallation could simply be from high energy (a few hundred MeV to a few GeV) ions accelerated straight into the core rather than against a target near the core.

Anyway... any suggestions on software?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a nuclear physicist, and even if I were, I'm sure I'd need at least some help understanding how to use it.I would recommend using the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) software for your modeling. It is a general-purpose Monte Carlo N-Particle transport code that can be used for a variety of applications in nuclear physics, such as neutron transport, radiation shielding, reactor physics, and medical physics. It can also be used for your dust core fission fragment rocket design to model the spallation neutron source input and to track the particles through your system. You can find more information about MCNP on the Los Alamos National Laboratory website.

1. What is simulation software for modeling a dusty fission reactor variant?

Simulation software for modeling a dusty fission reactor variant is a computer program designed to simulate the behavior and performance of a specific type of fission reactor that utilizes a dusty plasma as its fuel source.

2. How does simulation software for modeling a dusty fission reactor variant work?

The software uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the physical, chemical, and nuclear processes that occur within the reactor. It takes into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and particle interactions to create a realistic model of the reactor's behavior.

3. What are the benefits of using simulation software for modeling a dusty fission reactor variant?

Using simulation software allows scientists and engineers to test and optimize the design of a dusty fission reactor before it is built, reducing the cost and time involved in the development process. It also allows for a better understanding of the reactor's behavior and potential challenges that may arise.

4. Can simulation software accurately predict the behavior of a dusty fission reactor?

While simulation software can provide a good estimate of a reactor's behavior, it is not a perfect representation of reality. There are many variables and factors that can affect the accuracy of the simulation, such as the quality of input data and the complexity of the reactor design. It is important for scientists to validate the results of the simulation through experiments and testing.

5. What other types of reactors can simulation software be used for?

Simulation software can be used for a wide range of reactors, including nuclear reactors, chemical reactors, and fusion reactors. It can also be used for other types of systems, such as power plants, chemical plants, and industrial processes.