Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulation Tools for Solid State Devices and MEMS

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    I have worked with softwares that help me simulate circuits (Hpice, Proteus, MultiSim), but is there a software that helps me simulate devices right from the level of the atom?

For instance, I should be able to create a pattern of boron with silicon atoms, and then be able to replicate it 1 billion times. And then take a small (defined) piece of it for my p-type. Similarly with N-type. Or I should be able to type in my doping concentrations and then simulate.

So that way I can create SSDs (not just BJTs, MOSFETs, but describe any material I want) and see how they work on different voltages, biases and connections, etc. I think there should be a software that presently exists for designing and testing from the level of the atom, though I don't know its name.

The recent conference of ITRS spoke of modeling and simulation, though I didn't catch what software they used. I read one TCAD which is used but Technology Computer Aided Software is too general a term. So, which simulation tool or software goes down to the atom level, for modelling and simulating SSDs and MEMS?

http://www.itrs.net/Links/2011Winter/16_Modeling&Simulation.pdf

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted