Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Simulations in GADGET2

1. Aug 17, 2017 #1
    So this is a pretty specific technical question - but if anyone has experience running the N-body simulation GADGET2, I'm generating initial conditions using N-GenIC, and trying to turn on gas particles in the makefile gives the same error as described here: https://wwwmpa.mpa-garching.mpg.de/gadget/gadget-list/0506.html

I can't find a fix for this anywhere despite it being quite an old question, just wondering if anyone knows how to resolve this.

Thanks as always

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2017 #2

kimbyd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That tells me there's a compile error in the source code. If you've got some coding experience, you might be able to debug and fix it. Otherwise the only answer is to wait for the original developer to do so. Since they haven't fixed it in five years, though, sounds like that's highly unlikely to happen.

4. Aug 17, 2017 #3
    Thanks for replying - just in case anyone else ends up with the problem I think I may have found a workaround. So the error results from the fact that there are undefined variable in the code - I have simply removed troublesome variables and corresponding if statement from the code, and they do not appear in any other of the codes so everything compiled properly. I think it's all working OK now, but I will update this post if I find anything else.

5. Aug 18, 2017 #4

kimbyd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That makes sense. It was probably a bad merge before they submitted the code.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted