Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Simulator software for vacuum boundary value problem

1. Nov 5, 2017 #1
    Hi, I am interested in simulating the vacuum field equations, but solving a full boundary value problem rather than the initial value problem. i.e. I might have boundary conditions in all spatial and temporal extents/extremes, rather than just an initial 3D surface.

Does anyone know any free software that could perform such a simulation? I have started looking at the Einstein Toolkit docs and it doesn't really look like it does this, and I don't have much info on GRCombo.

many thanks,

Tom.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Nov 10, 2017 #3

Paul Colby

Gold Member

Well, I have no experience with numerical relativity, however, specifying all boundary conditions on all extremes need not be consistent, right? Doesn't sound like a well posed problem numerical issues aside.

5. Nov 11, 2017 #4
    It seems quite likely I would be over-constraining the vacuum equations, in which case I would need to provide fewer constraints, or allow for the solution closest to a vacuum rather than pure vacuum. But basically I'm after a solver that doesn't solve the usual initial value problem forward in time, but instead solves a boundary value problem for the whole 3+1 block.
    It is totally OK if no-one has any recommendations, that is in itself helpful information.

6. Nov 11, 2017 #5

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The point that @Paul Colby was suggesting (which I think is valid) is that any attempt to go beyond providing initial value conditions will be over-constraining the equations. Knowing the initial values is already sufficient to constrain the boundary value problem for the whole 3+1 block.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted