Explaining Voltage Split in Series Circuits with Ohm's Law

In summary, when you switch on the battery in a circuit with two resistors in series, the voltage across each resistor will be 4V. The voltage across the battery will be 8V, but each bulb will get 4V from the battery.
JD_PM
Let us set up a very simple circuit, with two resistors in series as shown in the sketch.

SimpleINSERIEScircuit.png

We know that for this particular circuit ##V_{14} = V_{12} + V_{23}##. But what I have always wondered is:

How does the circuit "know" that once I introduce a battery of ##8 V## that each of the bulbs will yield ##4V##?

I remember asking a similar question back in my bachelor years (general physics III course) and getting an answer like "due to Kirchhoff's voltage law: The sum of the potential differences around any closed loop is zero" but, in my opinion, this does not answer the question. Kirchhoff's law explains the experimental result but my question is more about how does the circuit manage to split the ##8V## of the battery into ##4V## volts for each bulb.

We all agree that switching on the battery and the split does not happen simultaneously.

My question, in other words, is: how can the split be explained?

Thank you! :biggrin:

Attachments

• SimpleINSERIEScircuit.png
    SimpleINSERIEScircuit.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 60
Engineering news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:
How does the circuit "know" that once I introduce a battery of 8V that each of the bulbs will yield 4V?

1635699424908.png

I'll let others address your question, but I do want to clear up your notation. You should be sure to indicate with the indices on those voltages that the voltage gain due to the battery equals the sum of the voltage drops across the resistors, so write it this way:
$$V_{14} = V_{32} + V_{21}$$

JD_PM said:
We all agree that switching on the battery and the split does not happen simultaneously.

If you cut an apple in two, do you demand explanation that you now have two pieces. Your question makes no sense to me.

In circuit analysis, the type of analysis that you use when you draw a circuit like that. KVL and KCL are satisfied instantaneously and continuously. There is no delay. There is no first, then second reasoning valid.

You must always keep in mind the Electrical Engineering is a field mostly defined by approximate solutions to incredibly complex Electromagnetic systems. In order to understand the limitations of the simplified models we use (like lumped element circuits), it is really, really, good to learn some physics.

The pedantic answer is nothing happens "simultaneously" in this universe, as Einstein explained in special relativity.

But, at a more practical level, all circuits contain "parasitic" elements, usually small capacitors and inductors, that are left out of the schematics so we can focus on the salient features we want to communicate or analyze. In this medium complexity framework, the energy that you must put into the electric fields of the capacitors and the magnetic fields of the inductors will slow the transient response. You can think of this as the circuit "charging up" to it's behavior described by the simplistic circuit shown. For a circuit like this it may take 10's of nsec to do this, which is often irrelevant compared to the time scale that the designers care about; or not, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve and how you want to model the real world.

By giving you such a simple model of the electronic system, they are telling you to ignore all of the complexities they have left out.

For an even simpler explanation, you can think of "trial and error", the circuit does takes some time to get it right.

When you make the last connection, an EM wave travels from that point along the two wires to the furthest point of ther circuit. It is actually the leading edge of a step function, and after several dimishing reflections back and forth it establishes the steady state conditions in the circuit.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
What @DaveE and @tech99 said is correct, but when you model things with EM waves, and distributed capacitances and inductances between wires, you can no longer use Ohm's Law plus Kirchhoff's Laws to analyze it. Therefore the voltage splitting question in your OP applies only to the simple case circuit case, not the advanced fields cases.

Many students make that error. They want to be able to sketch simple circuits and use the simple solution techniques, but to bring in deeper concepts like fields, charged particles, and distributed parameters. Unfortunately, they don't mix well. You need other analysis methods and different reasoning for the advanced cases.

Likes DaveE and hutchphd
JD_PM said:
You can explain it with Ohms law.
The total resistance is 2·R, the voltage is V;
So by Ohms law the common current is I = V / ( 2·R );
The voltage dropped across one R will be Vr = R · I;
∴ Vr = R · V / ( 2·R ) = V / 2.
The voltage is divided proportionally because the current is common to both resistors.

1. What is voltage split in series circuits?

Voltage split in series circuits refers to the division of voltage across multiple components connected in a series. In a series circuit, the total voltage of the circuit is divided among all the components, with each component receiving a portion of the total voltage.

2. How is voltage split calculated in series circuits?

Voltage split in series circuits can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. Therefore, the voltage split across each component can be calculated by dividing the individual resistance by the total resistance and multiplying it by the total voltage.

3. What is the relationship between voltage split and resistance in series circuits?

In series circuits, the voltage split across each component is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that as the resistance of a component increases, the voltage split across it also increases. Similarly, if the resistance decreases, the voltage split across the component also decreases.

4. How does voltage split affect the brightness of bulbs in series circuits?

In series circuits, the brightness of bulbs is affected by the voltage split across them. The higher the voltage split, the brighter the bulb will be. This is because the voltage split determines the amount of current flowing through the bulb, and the higher the current, the brighter the bulb will be.

5. Can voltage split be greater than the total voltage in series circuits?

No, voltage split cannot be greater than the total voltage in series circuits. This is because the total voltage in a series circuit is divided among all the components, and the sum of all voltage splits must equal the total voltage. If the voltage split across one component is greater than the total voltage, it would violate Ohm's Law and the conservation of energy.