1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simultaneity - the equation

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    I have poured over my old college textbook (Mould) in its description of simultaneity. I came across one sticking point that I don't understand.

The proper equation to describe the relative time between two different points is:

Eqn 1) t' = gamma (t - Lv/c^2)

This equation makes sense to me because I thought I understood simultaneity (the offset factor of Lv/c^2) as well as time dilation (the factor of gamma when changing into the moving/primed frame).

However, the book then inserts another factor of gamma (ostensibly from the t'). Didn't we already account for time dilation with the first gamma?

I know the book is right, since the following reduces properly to an identity:
    t/gamma = gamma (t - Lv/c^2)

I just don't understand the logic/physics of it. Yes, of course t' = t/gamma, but we already included that gamma in the right half of equation 1, right?

Why do we have gamma^2? What does that MEAN?
    I've pummeled my brain for 6 months on this issue ;-) I think it's time to ask.
    Thanks!
    Sky

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2

Ich

Science Advisor

No, that is a derived result and only valid for L=vt, i.e. at the position of a moving clock. You should write x instead of L to make clear that we're talking about a space coordinate here.
    Eq. 1) is the one and only equation to use (of course in combination with x'=gamma(x-vt/c²)), not t'=t/gamma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?