1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simultaneous Dysfunction

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1

Atomised

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve:

(A) 1.7x + 2.3y = 3.5

(B) 2.8x + 3.2y = -9.5

2. Relevant equations

Without using quadratic formula.

3. The attempt at a solution

I hate to admit it but I am having trouble with this. Seems to lead to monstrous calculations.

I tried subtracting B/4 from A to get x + 3.1 y = 5.875.

Also, substituting letters for numbers.

Is there something I'm missing or is this just a very tedious calculation?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have made a start; now just keep going. You have x = 5.875 - 3.1 y, so now wherever you see x you can substitute in that above expression. That will give you an equation involving y alone. That will then be easy to solve. OK: it is messy and takes time, but welcome to equation solving.

4. Apr 24, 2014 #3

Atomised

Gold Member

Thanks - I realise I made a stupid mistake which unnecessarily complicated things.

5. Apr 24, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you think the quadratic formula would be used in solving simultaneous equations?

6. Apr 24, 2014 #5

Atomised

Gold Member

My cack-handed manipulations resulted in x's on LHS and reciprocal y's on RHS. Thanks for your all help - it is a tremendous resource.

7. Apr 24, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, where did you get the word "Dysfunction"? Is that a translation from another language?

8. Apr 25, 2014 #7

Atomised

Gold Member

Just means pathological. Greek in origin.

I have proven that the problem I am currently working on is non-understandable at x_n, for all n.

9. Apr 25, 2014 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's not really a complicated problem ("monstrous calculations" is really hyperbole). It's just a system of two linear equations, which is about the simplest possible system you could be given. Each of the equations represents a line, and the solution of the system is the point at which the lines intersect. A very cursory inspection of the two equations is enough to say that there is a unique solution to the system.

10. Apr 25, 2014 #9

Atomised

Gold Member

Easy in principle. I was frustrated by my apparent inability to juggle six figure decimals (even with HP42S to help, me the world's best calculator).

I have proven that the problem I am currently working on is non-understandable at x_n, for all n.

11. Apr 25, 2014 #10

Mark44

You have proven that you write things that you don't understand...

12. Apr 25, 2014 #11

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What does "non-understandable" mean? You may want to post the entire problem, because your proof already sounds a little misconstrued.

13. Apr 25, 2014 #12

Mark44

It's not a proof - the exercise is just to find the solution of a system of two linear equations.

The "non-understandable" bit is just the OP being dramatic, IMO.

14. Apr 25, 2014 #13

Atomised

Gold Member

The 'non-understandable' was just the supposedly witty signature comment set on my PF app. Now removed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted