Simultaneous Equations: Solving [eq2] and Plugging into [eq1]

• Thread starter camino
  • Start date
In summary, the problem presents two equations: [eq1] and [eq2]. [eq2] is solved first, finding the value of Vb. Then, plugging this value into [eq1], the problem becomes solving for Va. The attempt at solving the problem using the LCM feature on a TI-89 calculator did not work due to the presence of imaginary numbers. Instead, it may be easier to convert the complex numbers into rectangular format and solve from there.
camino

Homework Statement

[eq1]: (Va-Vb)/(2i) = {[Vb-(10<0)]/(4-8i)} + {(Vb)/(6i)}

[eq2]: (Va-Vb)/(2i) = (8<20) - Va

Homework Equations

Note: < is angle

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving [eq2]

(Va-Vb) = 2i[(8<20) - Va]
(Va-Vb) = (2i)(8<20) - (2i)(Va)
-Vb = (2i)(8<20) - (2i)(Va) - Va
Vb = -(2i)(8<20) + (2i)(Va) + Va
Vb = -(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va

Then plugging into [eq1]

[Va + (16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va]/[2i] = {[-(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va - (10<0)]/[4-8i]} + {[-(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va]/[6i]}

[2Va + (16<110) + (2i)(Va)]/[2i] = {[-(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va - (10<0)]/[4-8i]} + {[-(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va]/[6i]}

I am stuck at this point. If I could find the LCM of the the 2 fractions on the right and add them together I would be fine, but since there are imaginary numbers I'm not sure if that's even possible. (I tried using the lcm feature on my TI-89, didn't work).

Or if there's a better way to solve this please let me know. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
camino said:

Homework Statement

[eq1]: (Va-Vb)/(2i) = {[Vb-(10<0)]/(4-8i)} + {(Vb)/(6i)}

[eq2]: (Va-Vb)/(2i) = (8<20) - Va

Homework Equations

Note: < is angle

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving [eq2]

(Va-Vb) = 2i[(8<20) - Va]
(Va-Vb) = (2i)(8<20) - (2i)(Va)
-Vb = (2i)(8<20) - (2i)(Va) - Va
Vb = -(2i)(8<20) + (2i)(Va) + Va
Vb = -(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va

Then plugging into [eq1]

[Va + (16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va]/[2i] = {[-(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va - (10<0)]/[4-8i]} + {[-(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va]/[6i]}

[2Va + (16<110) + (2i)(Va)]/[2i] = {[-(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va - (10<0)]/[4-8i]} + {[-(16<110) + (2i)(Va) + Va]/[6i]}

I am stuck at this point. If I could find the LCM of the the 2 fractions on the right and add them together I would be fine, but since there are imaginary numbers I'm not sure if that's even possible. (I tried using the lcm feature on my TI-89, didn't work).

Or if there's a better way to solve this please let me know. Thanks.

Perhaps it can be solved in that polar format for the complex numbers, but I would find it easier to solve it in rectangular format. That is, convert each complex number from "magnitude>angle" format into A+jB format. Then to solve, the real parts have to be equal, and the imaginary parts have to be equal. You can convert it back to polar form in the end, if that's the format that the complex number answer is supposed to be in.

There are a few different approaches you could take to solve this problem. One method would be to first simplify the fractions on the right side of [eq1] by finding the common denominator and then combining them. This would give you a single fraction on the right side, which you could then equate to the left side of the equation and solve for Va. Once you have found the value of Va, you can plug it back into [eq2] to solve for Vb.

Another approach would be to use substitution. From [eq2], you can solve for Va in terms of Vb, and then substitute that expression into [eq1]. This would give you a single equation with one variable, which you can then solve for Vb. Once you have found the value of Vb, you can plug it back into the expression for Va to find its value.

In either case, it may be helpful to convert the polar form of the complex numbers to rectangular form to simplify the calculations. Additionally, it may be helpful to use a calculator or software program to perform the calculations.

Overall, the key to solving simultaneous equations is to manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and then solve for the remaining variable. Keep in mind that there may be multiple ways to approach a problem, so if one method is not working for you, try another.

What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables, where the goal is to find the values of all the variables that satisfy all the equations at the same time.

What is the purpose of solving simultaneous equations?

The purpose of solving simultaneous equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations, which can help in solving real-world problems and making predictions.

How do you solve simultaneous equations?

There are various methods to solve simultaneous equations, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the remaining variables.

What is the difference between linear and non-linear simultaneous equations?

Linear simultaneous equations have variables with powers of 1, while non-linear equations have variables with powers greater than 1. Non-linear equations can have multiple solutions, while linear equations have only one unique solution.

How can simultaneous equations be applied in real life?

Simultaneous equations can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the cost of items with multiple variables, finding optimal solutions in business planning, and predicting population growth. They are also used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.