How to Solve Simultaneous Equations over Complex Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of four equations with three unknowns over the complex numbers. The speaker is trying to find the solutions to the system, but has been unable to do so despite using a resultant and considering the symmetry among the variables. They mention a possible geometric interpretation and a potential solution using a software called magma. Another speaker suggests using Maple to solve the system, which gives four sets of solutions. The conversation ends with the speaker still unable to find a solution.
Diophantus
I am trying to find the solutions to the following system over the complex numbers: [tex] x^4 + y^4 + z^4 +4xyz - 4x^2 - 4y^2 - 4z^2 +5 =0[/tex]
[tex] 4x^3 + 4yz - 8x =0[/tex]
[tex] 4y^3 + 4xz - 8y =0[/tex]
[tex] 4z^3 + 4xy - 8z =0[/tex]I calculated the resultant:

[tex] xyz - 2x^2 - 2y^2 - 2z^2 +5 [/tex]

which would give a necessary condition for solutions but I've been messing about for hours and I still can't see how to proceed.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you take advantage of the symmetry among the variables?

You have 4 equations with 3 unknowns. In general there won't be a solution (although your particular equations could be solvable).

Also the third equation doesn't look right, shouldn't the middle term be 4xz?

Seems like x=y=z=1 is a solution.

Code:
Also the third equation doesn't look right, shouldn't the middle term be 4xz?

Indeed you are right.

So the symmetry implies that if (a,b,c) is asloution then so are (a,c,b) , (b,a,c) , (b,c,a) , (c,a,b) , and (c,b,a).

I'm really looking for a way of obtaining the whole solution set. I have done similar problems in the past by getting a resultant doing some substitution in order to get a list of candidates (containing all solutions) which can then be chencked.

It appears that your last three equations are partial derivatives of the first equation.
I suspect a geometric interpretation might help guide you to the solution.

Sorry I should have been more honest from the outset. I'm trying to find the singular points of the surface defined in the top equation. These points are exactly the points on the surface which satisfy the equations of the derivatives. I didn't say that before because I thought it would confuse matters. In effect the geometric problem was the hard problem which was supposed to be made easier by translating it into an algerbaic one.

Are you allowed to ask magma? :wink:

Your computation of resultant is unfamiliar to me -- the one I know takes two polynomials and a variable as input, and outputs a single polynomial that does not contain the given variable. So I don't know what you computed.

The 'resultant' I was using is not technically the same as the usual definition I believe. What I was doing was setting:

[tex]4f - f_x - f_y - f_z = 0[/tex]

which gives a necessary condition for the solutions of the four equations.

Not familiar with magma I'm afraid. The important thing is that I really need to be able to know how to do it but if you could generate the solution set using magma then I guess it would be, helpful in the sense of knowing what we are looking for.

Maple:
Code:
> eq:={x^4+y^4+z^4+4*x*y*z-4*x^2-4*y^2-4*z^2+5=0, 4*x^3+4*y*z-8*x=0, 4*y^3+4*z*x-8*y=0, 4*z^3+4*x*y-8*z=0};

4    4    4                2      2      2
  eq := {x  + y  + z  + 4 x y z - 4 x  - 4 y  - 4 z  + 5 = 0,

3                       3
        4 x  + 4 y z - 8 x = 0, 4 y  + 4 z x - 8 y = 0,

4 z  + 4 x y - 8 z = 0}

> solve(eq,{x,y,z});

{z = 1, y = 1, x = 1}, {z = -1, y = 1, x = -1},

{z = -1, x = 1, y = -1}, {z = 1, x = -1, y = -1}

The surfaces [ plotted with implicitplot3d ] look interesting... but weren't immediately suggestive of a strategy... with the exception of the obvious symmetry in the variables.

Thanks robphy, I'll ponder it a bit longer and report my progess later.

I sustituted my 'resultant' into the first equation to get:

[tex](x^2 + 5)(x^2 - 1) + (y^2 + 5)(y^2 - 1) + (z^2 + 5)(z^2 - 1) = 0 [/tex]

which looks quite nice but I can't see any immediate use.

I also used the 'resultant' to get:

[tex] x = \frac{yz}{4} \pm \frac{1}{4}\sqrt{40 - 16x^2 - 16z^2 + y^2 z^2}[/tex]

Alas though substituing into any of the original equations just gives a mess.

I'm still stuck. Anyone?

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations that are solved together to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. How are simultaneous equations solved?

Simultaneous equations can be solved by either substitution or elimination. In substitution, one equation is solved for one variable and then substituted into the other equation. In elimination, one variable is eliminated by adding or subtracting the equations together.

3. What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent simultaneous equations?

A consistent set of simultaneous equations has at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations. An inconsistent set has no solution that satisfies all of the equations. This means that the equations represent parallel lines or intersecting lines that do not intersect at a common point.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must be equal to the number of variables in order to solve the system.

5. Are there real-world applications of simultaneous equations?

Yes, simultaneous equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used to determine the optimal production levels in a manufacturing plant or to predict the path of a projectile in physics.