Solving Simultaneous Equations: Tips and Help for Difficult Problems

In summary, Cathy is seeking help with solving two simultaneous equations in her Statistics question. She has the solutions but does not know the method to obtain them. Two methods are suggested, one being to eliminate one variable and the other being to express one variable in terms of the other. After some discussion, Cathy is able to solve the equations with the help of the experts.
CathyLou
Hi.

I'm working through a Statistics question and have reached two simultaneous equations that I just can't seem to sove. Could someone please help? I'd really appreciate it.

The two equations are:

1.65 - x = -0.5244y

and

1.78 - x = 0.8416y

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, by the way, I have the solutions (x = 1.70 and y = 0.095) but I just don't know the method to obtain them.

Thank you.

Cathy

1-u can simply make equation one -equation 2

so x is removed &u'll have equation in y only so u can get Y value

2-or also,u can get x in terms of y,like 1.65 +0.5244y = x

then replace x in 2nd equation with this new X

got it?

To find the value of one variable, you need to eliminate the other. Do you know how to do that?

neutrino said:
To find the value of one variable, you need to eliminate the other. Do you know how to do that?

Could you please show me as I tried this and did not get the correct answers?

Thanks for replying.

Cathy

One way of doing it, as mado suggested, would be to subtract one equation from the other.

CathyLou said:
Could you please show me as I tried this and did not get the correct answers?

Thanks for replying.

Cathy

Can you show us what you did?

I've got it now.

Thanks for your help!

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that have multiple variables and must be solved at the same time. They often involve finding the values of multiple unknown variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. How do you solve simultaneous equations?

To solve simultaneous equations, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to either isolate one variable or find the point where the equations intersect.

3. What is the importance of simultaneous equations in science?

Simultaneous equations are important in science as they allow us to model and solve complex systems that involve multiple variables. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and predict outcomes.

4. Can simultaneous equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have multiple solutions. This means that there are multiple combinations of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

5. How can simultaneous equations be applied in real life?

Simultaneous equations have many real-life applications, such as determining the optimal mix of ingredients in a recipe, calculating the break-even point for a business, or predicting the path of a moving object. They can also be used to solve problems related to population growth, interest rates, and chemical reactions.