1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simultaneous equations

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    Hi, I have the following two equations of the form:

A^2 - B^2=hj(k^2) and 2AB=mjk

and I need to get them into the form

A=k.sqrt(hj/2).{sqrt((1)+(m/hk)^2)+1}^(1/2)

and

B=k.sqrt(hj/2).{sqrt((1)+(m/hk)^2)-1}^(1/2)

I've been trying in vain for a while now and its starting to annoy me coz I know it should be simple. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What about you just solve the second one for either A or B and plug it into the other one?
    Didn't check it, but if they are really equivalent it should work.

4. Jan 4, 2008 #3
    Yeah I've done that, thats not the problem really,its just getting it into the form I need.

5. Jan 4, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure I'll get exactly what you got, but I'll give it a try.

The second one gives B = mjk/2A. Plugging this into the first one gives
    [tex]A^2 - \frac{ (m j k / 2)^2 }{ A^2 } = h j k^2 [/tex]
    Calling [itex]\alpha = A^2[/itex] and multiplying through by [itex]\alpha[/itex], we get
    [tex]\alpha^2 - h j k^2 \alpha - (m j k / 2)^2 = 0[/tex]
    The solutions are
    [tex]\alpha = \frac12\left( h j k^2 \pm \sqrt{h^2 j^2 k^4 + j^2 k^2 m^2 \right)[/tex]
    so let's take the positive one. From now on I'll start taking things out of square roots by using [itex]\sqrt{X Y^2} = Y \sqrt{X}[/itex], so you need the assumption that they are positive. First rewrite alpha into
    [tex]\alpha = \cdot \frac{1}{2} \left(h j k^2 + h j k^2 \sqrt{1 + m^2 / (h^2 k^2)} \right)[/tex]
    and then take out h j k^2:
    [tex]\alpha = k^2 \cdot \frac{h j}{2} \left(1 + \sqrt{1 + m^2 / (h^2 k^2)} \right)[/tex]
    Solve [itex]\alpha = A^2[/itex] for A (pick the positive root again), take the k^2 outside the square root and use [itex]\sqrt{a b} = \sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{b}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?