1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simultaneous equations

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] simultaneous equations

Why is it that when solving some simultaneous equations two different ways you can get two different answers? One example is this:
    0=-tsin(x)+85.7sin(30) eq. 1
    0=-tcos(x)+85.7cos(30)-t eq. 2
    I solved these equations in mathematica and got t=49.4789 and x=1.0472. These were the values I submitted for an engineering assignment I recently had and I only got t correct, the correct answer for x was 60 degrees.
    So knowing which value was correct i subbed it into eq1. and i still got x=1.04723
    Then I tried using a different method. I equated both equations so eq1=eq2 and i used x=60 to solve for t and i got 49.476. Why did these two different methods yield two different values for x and how am I supposed to know which one is correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using mathematica to solve the equations may not be helping you understand them. In the answer x=1.0472, x is expressed in radians. That IS 60 degrees.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?