How can I solve for the forces in a three bar truss with a weight of 2 T?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the forces in three bars of a three bar truss that is supporting a weight of 2 T. The equations for resolving the forces are provided and the person is trying to understand how to solve them. The solution involves back-substitution and using matrices. The equations can also be written in the form p.F1 + q.F2 + r.F3 = k, where p, q, r, and k are constants.
Stacyg
A weight of 2 T is supported by a three bar truss. We want to find the forces in the three bars.

(This truss is a 3-4-5 triangle so that sin and cos are either 0.6 or 0.8. See below

Resolving vertically at the top we find 0.8F1 + 0.6 F2 = 2 This is Equation 1

Resolving horizontally at the top we find 0.6F1 = 0.8F2 This is equation 2

Resolving horizontally at the bottom left we find 0.6F1 = F3

a) Write each of the equations in th eform p.F1 + r.F2 + r.F3 = k

b) Solve these questions simultaneously.

I have no idea how to do this.
I'll try and put up a picture of the question as soon as possible.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve the last equation for F1 in terms of F3 and substitute it into the other equations. Now you have two equations in two unknowns. Solve one of them for F2 in terms of F3 and substitute that into the last equation. Now you have one equation in one unknown. Et voila.

Dick speaks the truth. It is quite common to encounter a system like this that can be solved by 'back-substitution'. Since you've probably not learned about them yet, matrices are how you would normally handle a system of equations such as this one.

Diagram

Diagram1.JPG

Here is the diagram.
I really don't understand how to solve the equations to find f1, f2 and f3.
Also how would i write the equations in the form p.F1 +q.F2+r.F3=k
Where do the p, q, r, and k that are constants come from ?

Thanks

Stacyg said:
View attachment 14020

Here is the diagram.
I really don't understand how to solve the equations to find f1, f2 and f3.
Also how would i write the equations in the form p.F1 +q.F2+r.F3=k
Where do the p, q, r, and k that are constants come from ?

Thanks

Your first equation was 0.8F1 + 0.6 F2 = 2. That's p=0.8, q=0.6, r=0 and k=2. Didn't you read my explanation of how to solve them??

Yeah sorry I re-read your reply and worked it out thanks for your help.

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations that contain multiple unknown variables. They are solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations.

2. How do you solve simultaneous equations?

There are various methods for solving simultaneous equations, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most commonly used method is substitution, where one equation is solved for a variable and that value is substituted into the other equation.

3. What is the importance of solving simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations is important in many fields, especially in mathematics and science. They are used to model and solve real-life problems, such as in economics, engineering, and physics. They also help in understanding and analyzing the relationships between different variables.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations should be equal to the number of unknown variables in order to find a unique solution. If there are more equations than variables, the system is considered overdetermined and may not have a unique solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving simultaneous equations efficiently?

One tip for solving simultaneous equations efficiently is to always start by simplifying the equations as much as possible. This can involve rearranging the equations or using algebraic properties to eliminate terms. Additionally, it can be helpful to choose the most suitable method for solving the equations based on the given equations and variables.