Simpler Approach for Solving Simultaneous Equations with Multiple Variables?

In summary: I haven't tried to work out the exact limits.)In summary, The two equations r^2-a^2=\sqrt{(r^2-a^2)(R^2-(b-d)^2)} and \sqrt{(r^2-a^2)(R^2-(d-b)^2)}=R^2-d^2+bd-ab+ad can be simplified to (a-b)(d-b)=0, which means that either a=b or d=b. This can be used to solve for three variables, given that r, R, and d are constants. However, there may be limitations on the choices of these constants in order for the solutions to be real.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I need to solve these 2 equations:

[tex]r^2-a^2=\sqrt{(r^2-a^2)(R^2-(b-d)^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{(r^2-a^2)(R^2-(d-b)^2)}=R^2-d^2+bd-ab+ad[/tex]

Now wait, before you run off thinking "screw that - too many letters, too much hassle" I don't actually want you to solve this for me, but I have a question about it.

Firstly, r, R and d are constants and I'm looking to solve for a and b so what I essentially want is:

[tex]a=f(r,R,d)[/tex] and [tex]b=f(r,R,d)[/tex] (I'm not even sure if I have expressed what I want properly, I just took a best guess at this. It translates into "a as a function in terms of r, R and d").

What I thought I'd try is, instead of expanding one equation and solving a quadratic in terms of one of the variables a or b, I'll eliminate the [tex]\sqrt{(r^2-a^2)(R^2-(d-b)^2)}[/tex] so what I end up having is:

[tex]R^2-d^2+bd-ab+ad=r^2-a^2[/tex]

but then this doesn't look like it's helping me solve for either variable. Is the only way I can solve for a and b by going through the long painful process of using the quadratic formula? Any other suggestions on a simpler approach I could take?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Set r2 - a2 = R2 - d2 + bd - ab + ad

The radicals in the two equations are equal; the only difference is that one has a factor of (b - d)2 inside, while the other has a factor of (d - b)2 inside, and these two factors are equal.

Yes I realized that and I already had done what you suggested. It's near the end of my OP.

I guess I can solve for either a or b in this 3rd equation and then substitute that back into the 1st or 2nd equation. It doesn't look impossible to solve, but I know it's going to be a pain...

Stay tuned to read about my inevitable failure.

Yep, as I thought - my only hope was that many crucial terms would cancel nicely, but there wasn't enough of that happening to help me solve these equations. I have resulted in a 5th order equation in the variable a, so it's quite fruitless to keep going.

It seems like all my most recent math problems have been cut short of being solved simply by becoming too overwhelming to work with. Maybe I should quit with giving myself problems to solve.

Mentallic said:
I need to solve these 2 equations:

[tex]\sqrt{(r^2-a^2)(R^2-(d-b)^2)}=R^2-d^2+bd-ab+ad[/tex]

Doesn't look so bad.
The first equation implies r^2-a^2 = R^2-(b-d)^2
[I'm not sure whether the negative of LHS is also implied, let's leave that for another day.]

The second equation when you use the first implies r^2-a^2 = R^2 -d^2+bd-ab+ad
[Once again are there any issues with negatives?]

Equating the RHS of these two equations, and cancelling R^2 you end up with (a-b)(d-b)=0

That is solved if a=b or d=b

Easy enough to check, if you substitute b for a for example.

Is this what you wanted?

bikengr said:
Doesn't look so bad.
I beg to differ.

How so?

The second equation when you use the first implies r^2-a^2 = R^2 -d^2+bd-ab+ad
You'd be the 3rd person in this thread that has realized this and posted it :tongue:

I'm not sure whether the negative of LHS is also implied, let's leave that for another day.

Once again are there any issues with negatives?
Only a will be negative (although it doesn't have to be the case for the question), the only real restrictions are [itex]r,R>0[/itex]

Equating the RHS of these two equations, and cancelling R^2 you end up with (a-b)(d-b)=0
This would be the case if you hadn't incorrectly made the equality [tex]\sqrt{(r^2-a^2)(R^2-(b-d)^2)}=R^2-(b-d)^2[/tex] I think?

That is solved if a=b or d=b

Easy enough to check, if you substitute b for a for example.

Is this what you wanted?
[itex]a=b[/itex] or [itex]d=b[/itex] iff [itex]r,R,b=0[/itex] and this is a pretty boring case and makes solving the problem quite futile.

EDIT: I now see what you did in the first equation, I'm going to check over everything you've done again to see where else the problem may lie.

Haha it seems everything you've done was correct.

But my statement still holds that [itex]a\neq b[/itex] and [itex]b\neq d[/itex] so that can only mean my equations are wrong.

oops :blushing:

Thanks bikengr! :smile:

Mentallic said:
bikengr said:
How so?

Square both sides:

[tex]\left(r^2-a^2\right)^2=(r^2-a^2)(R^2-(b-d)^2)[/tex]

If [tex]r^2-a^2 \ne 0[/tex] you can clear that common factor, leaving

[tex]r^2-a^2=(R^2-(b-d)^2[/tex]

and, as bikengr showed, this eventually leads to [tex](a-b)(d-b)=0[/tex].

However, that ignores the other solution that results from [tex]r^2-a^2=0[tex].

In my frustration at login difficulties, and also general sleep deprivation, I didn't state the solution that I found all that clearly:

The quantities must be chosen to satisfy r^2-a^2 = R^2-(b-d)^2
Furthermore, either a=b or d=b
[I am not precluding other solutions due to positive/negative square roots, and also restrictions to allow the square roots to be real. I simply haven't looked into them.]

These two relations in 5 quantities will generally allow you to choose three variables relatively freely, and solve for two others. For example select d, b and r arbitrarily. The second relation tells you the value of a. The first relation let's you solve for R. Note that there are limits to the choices of d,b,r if you want R to be real. R will not be real if (b-d)^2 and r^2 are small, and a^2 is large.

bikengr said:
The quantities must be chosen to satisfy r^2-a^2 = R^2-(b-d)^2
Furthermore, either a=b or d=b
Not necessarily. In finding that you implicitly divided by (r2 - a2). This division is not valid if a2=r2. Setting a2=r2 leads to a new family of solutions.

D H said:
Not necessarily. In finding that you implicitly divided by (r2 - a2). This division is not valid if a2=r2. Setting a2=r2 leads to a new family of solutions.

Just so. I tried to be quite explicit that I probably did not have all solutions. My main aim was to break the logjam, in which proposer was tied in knots about high order polynomials. I think I have done so, however cavalierly, and probably won't be adding more.

bikengr said:

I followed you, up to this point. But how do you cancel R^2? We don't know the relationship between r and R, do we?

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that involve two or more unknown variables and are solved simultaneously to determine the values of those variables.

2. How do you solve simultaneous equations?

The most common method for solving simultaneous equations is by substitution. This involves solving one equation for one variable and then substituting that value into the other equation. Another method is elimination, which involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate one variable.

3. What is the importance of simultaneous equations in science?

Simultaneous equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to model and solve real-world problems. They are especially useful in situations where there are multiple unknown variables that are dependent on each other.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must be equal to the number of variables in order to have a unique solution. If there are more variables than equations, the system is considered underdetermined and may have infinitely many solutions.

5. Are there any real-life applications of simultaneous equations?

Yes, simultaneous equations are used in various real-life situations, such as in financial planning, optimizing production processes, and predicting population growth. They are also commonly used in statistics and data analysis to model relationships between multiple variables.