Solving Simultaneous Equations with Positive Numbers

In summary, two positive numbers x and y have the property that the sum of their squares is 10 times their sum. To link x and y, an equation can be written as 10x+10y=x^2+y^2. If y is the larger number and the difference between x and y is 6, then x satisfies the equation x^2-4x-12=0. Solving this equation yields the two positive numbers x and y as x=2 and y=8.
rollcast

Homework Statement

2 positive numbers , x and y, are such that the sum of their squares is 10 times their sum.

a. write an equation to link x and y
b. If y is the larger number and the difference is 6 show that x satisfies the equation
x2-4x-12=0
c. solve the equation and fin the 2 positive numbers x and y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a. This is where I think I may be wrong

10x+10y=x2+y2

Part b. y= x+6, substitute in above formula, but I can't get the same quadratic equation as the question.

Part c. I can do this ok.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math then. Or show it, so that someone can help checking.

So then after substituting

10x+10x+60=x^2+(x+6)^2

work that all out and collect the terms

20x+60=4x^2+36+24x

then set the equation equal to zero

4x^2-4x-24=0

divide by 4

x^2-x-6=0

But that's not what it says to show in the question

You right side is off, what is [itex](a+b)^2[/itex] equal to?

a^2+2ab+b^2

seen it now, thanks

And [itex](x+6)^2[/itex]?

And [itex]x^2+(x+6)^2[/itex]?

Edit: OK, I guess you found the problem :smile:

x^2+12x+36

2x^2 +12x+36

1. How do I solve simultaneous equations with positive numbers?

To solve simultaneous equations with positive numbers, you can use the elimination method or the substitution method. The elimination method involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate one variable, while the substitution method involves substituting one equation into the other to eliminate one variable. Both methods should result in the same solution.

2. What if one of the equations has a negative number?

If one of the equations has a negative number, you can either multiply both sides of the equation by -1 to make it positive, or you can distribute the negative sign when using the elimination or substitution methods. Just be careful to keep track of the negative signs throughout the process.

3. Do I need to change the order of the equations?

No, the order of the equations does not matter when solving simultaneous equations with positive numbers. You can solve them in any order you prefer.

4. What if there are more than two equations?

If there are more than two equations, you can still use the same methods of elimination or substitution. Just make sure to eliminate the same variable in each pair of equations until you are left with a single equation and one variable to solve.

5. Can I check my solution to make sure it is correct?

Yes, you can always check your solution by plugging it back into each of the original equations. If the solution is correct, it should satisfy all of the equations. If it does not, double check your work for any mistakes.